Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving the contracted epsilon identity

1. Oct 1, 2012 #1
    proving the "contracted epsilon" identity

in the wikipedia page for the Levi Civita symbol, they have a definition of the product of 2 permutation symbols as: [itex] ε_{ijk}ε_{lmn} = δ_{il}(δ_{jm}δ_{kn} - δ_{jn}δ_{km}) - δ_{im}(δ_{jl}δ_{kn} - δ_{jn}δ_{kl}) + δ_{in}(δ_{jl}δ_{km} - δ_{jm}δ_{kl}) [/itex] and by contracting the first index in the product (so that i = l) it should be the case that i get [itex] δ_{jm}δ_{kn} - δ_{jn}δ_{km} [/itex].

however, when i actually replace all the i's with l's i get: [itex] ε_{ijk}ε_{imn} = δ_{ii}(δ_{jm}δ_{kn} - δ_{jn}δ_{km}) - δ_{lm}(δ_{jl}δ_{kn} - δ_{jn}δ_{kl}) + δ_{ln}(δ_{jl}δ_{km} - δ_{jm}δ_{kl}) [/itex] and then using the fact that δ will be 0 unless both of its indices match, i get [itex] ε_{ijk}ε_{imn} = (δ_{jm}δ_{kn} - δ_{jn}δ_{km}) - (δ_{jm}δ_{kn} - δ_{jn}δ_{km}) + (δ_{jn}δ_{km} - δ_{jm}δ_{kn}) [/itex],

but this turns out to be [itex] - (δ_{jm}δ_{kn} - δ_{jn}δ_{km}) [/itex] which is the negative of the answer that I expected. did i do something wrong? I don't know why i picked up an extra minus sign.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2012 #2
    Re: proving the "contracted epsilon" identity

Your problem is that [itex]\delta_{ii} = 3[/itex], not 1. The first term should have a leading factor of 3.

4. Oct 3, 2012 #3
    Re: proving the "contracted epsilon" identity

doh! thank you for pointing that out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook