1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving the Form of a Homogenous LC Circuit?

1. May 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a circuit with input source x(t), which contains also an inductor and a capacitor in series which I have found to be related to the output voltage y(t) (across the capacitor) like so: LC*d2y/dt2 + y(t) = x(t). I have also found its roots through the quadratic equation to be complex, and equal to +/- the imaginary unit j.

The question asks me to show its homogenous solution has the form K1ej*a*t + K2ej*b*t, where a and b are the roots I found above.

2. Relevant equations

Unsure. See above for my progress so far.

3. The attempt at a solution

My solution has led me here, having gotten the above equation and its roots. I just do not know how to show that I can express the solution to the differential equation in the requested form. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Rome_Leader! :smile:

If you have a homogeneous quadratic equation in y(t),

write D = d/dt, and convert the equation into an ordinary quadratic equation in D …

(D - a)(D - b)(y) = 0​

then put (D - b)(y) = z, so (D - a)(z) = 0 :wink:

4. May 21, 2013 #3
    I follow, but that does not appear to express it in the form K1*e^(j*a*t) + K2*e^(j*b*t). I don't think it makes it any simpler either, at least not to my eyes.

5. May 21, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes it does, try it :smile:

6. May 21, 2013 #5
    Expanding, I get d^2y/dt^2 - (dy/dt)*b - (dy/dt)*a + ab.

Your z substitution is a little confusing, but then I get (dy/dt-a)*(dy/dt-b) = 0 again?

7. May 21, 2013 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

solve (D - a)z(t) = 0 first …

z = … ? :wink:

(and then solve the non-homogeneous equation (D - b)y(t) = z(t))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted