Proving the Inequality |x+y|^p \leq 2^p(|x|^p+|y|^p)

  • Thread starter Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inequality
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Messages
4,796
Reaction score
32
[SOLVED] Help me prove this inequality

Homework Statement


The inequality in question is

[tex]|x+y|^p \leq 2^p(|x|^p+|y|^p)[/tex]

for any positive integer p and real numbers x,y.

The Attempt at a Solution


For p=1, it is weaker than the triangle inequality.

Suppose it is true for p, and let's try to show this implies it's true for p+1.

[tex]|x+y|^{p+1}=|x+y||x+y|^p\leq |x+y|2^p(|x|^p+|y|^p)[/tex]

And basically, here I've tried using the triangle inequality on |x+y| but the most "reduced form" I got is I arrived at the conclusion that the inquality was true iff

[tex]|x||y|(|x|^p+|y|^p)\leq |x|^{p+1}+|y|^{p+1}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let [tex]a,b\geq 0[/tex] we want to show [tex](a+b)^n \leq 2^n(a^n+b^n)[/tex]. First accept induction. Then [tex](a+b)^{n+1} = (a+b)^n(a+b)\leq 2^n(a^n+b^n)(a+b) = 2^n(a^{n+1}+b^{n+1}+ab^n+a^nb)[/tex]. But [tex]2^n(a^{n+1}+b^{n+1}+ab^n+a^nb)\leq 2^{n+1}(a^{n+1}+b^{n+1})[/tex] iff [tex]a^{n+1}+b^{n+1}\leq 2(a^{n+1}+b^{n+1}+a^nb+ab^n)[/tex] iff [tex]a^{n+1}+b^{n+1}\geq ab^n+a^nb[/tex] iff [tex](a-b)(a^n-b^n)\geq 0[/tex] but that is true because [tex](a-b)(a^n-b^n) = (a-b)^2(a^{n-1}b+...+ab^{n-1})\geq 0[/tex].
 
Kummer said:
But [tex]2^n(a^{n+1}+b^{n+1}+ab^n+a^nb)\leq 2^{n+1}(a^{n+1}+b^{n+1})[/tex] iff [tex]a^{n+1}+b^{n+1}\leq 2(a^{n+1}+b^{n+1}+a^nb+ab^n)[/tex]

Ok, this is just a typo probably because you fall back on your feet a few lines later with

[tex]a^{n+1}+b^{n+1}\geq ab^n+a^nb[/tex]

Good work, thanks Kummer.
 
Last edited:
quasar987 said:
How do I add [SOLVED] to the title?

Click on "thread tools".