Proving the poisson distribution is normalized

In summary, the conversation is about trying to prove the normalization of the Poisson distribution. The equation for the distribution is given and the attempt at a solution is discussed. The conversation ends with a link to a resource for further understanding.
Eight
SOLVED

Homework Statement

I am trying to prove that the poisson distribution is normalized, I think I've got an ok start but just having trouble with the next step.

Homework Equations

A counting experiment where the probability of observing n events (0≤n<∞) is given by:

P(n) = (μ^n)/n! * e^(-μ)

Where μ is a real number.

The Attempt at a Solution

Background (possibly incorrect)

So it's discrete, as n will take integer values; I need a sum not an integral.

Ʃ P(n) from n=0 to ∞ is just given by:

Ʃ (μ^n)/n! * e^(-μ)

And e^(-μ) does not vary with n, so:

Ʃ P(n) = e^(-μ) * Ʃ (μ^n)/n!

Important bit

Now as I am trying to prove it is normalized, i need to get Ʃ P(n) = 1, so I assume my problem is getting from:

(μ^n) / n!

to

e^μ

Any tips or help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are doing probability applications but have never seen this material before? Oh, well: see, eg., http://www.mcs.sdsmt.edu/tkowalsk/notes/Common-Taylor-series.pdf .

RGV

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it's come up in my 2nd year Quantum module. Thanks for the link, I think I'd just forgotten that, curse of the double gap year.

Makes sense now, thanks again.

What is the Poisson distribution?

The Poisson distribution is a statistical model used to describe the probability of a certain number of events occurring within a specific time interval or in a specific area.

What does it mean for the Poisson distribution to be normalized?

For a probability distribution to be normalized means that the sum of all the probabilities of all possible outcomes is equal to 1. In the case of the Poisson distribution, this means that the sum of the probabilities of all possible number of events occurring must equal 1.

How do you prove that the Poisson distribution is normalized?

To prove that the Poisson distribution is normalized, we can use the formula for calculating the sum of an infinite geometric series. By plugging in the values for the Poisson distribution's parameters, we can show that the sum of all probabilities equals 1.

Why is it important to prove that the Poisson distribution is normalized?

Proving that the Poisson distribution is normalized is important because it ensures that the model accurately describes the probability of events occurring. It also allows us to use the distribution to make predictions and draw conclusions about real-world situations.

Are there any assumptions or conditions that need to be met for the Poisson distribution to be normalized?

Yes, there are several assumptions and conditions that need to be met for the Poisson distribution to be normalized. These include independence of events, a fixed time or area, and a low probability of multiple events occurring simultaneously.