1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving transpose of orthogonal matrix orthogonal

1. Aug 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that if A is orthogonal, then AT is orthogonal.

2. Relevant equations

AAT = I

3. The attempt at a solution

I would go about this by letting A be an orthogonal matrix with a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i , j as its entries (I don't know how to draw that here)...but this would be a 3x3 matrix with entries a, b, c, d, e, f, g,h, i, j. I would then construct AT, and then multiply the two matrices. I should find that the non-diagonal entries are zero, but how would I show that the diagonal entries are 1?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2011 #2
    Use the fact that the columns are all orthogonal unit vectors.

4. Aug 9, 2011 #3
    Ok. I understand how I would prove that A times the transpose of A has orthogonal columns...but how would I prove they are unit vectors?

5. Aug 9, 2011 #4
    What definition are you using for an orthogonal matrix? Note that orthogonal unit vectors for rows and columns is equivalent to [itex] AA^T = A^TA=I[/itex]. The equivalence of these definitions is perhaps in your book or can certainly be found online.

I would use the second definition. A is orthogonal if and only if [itex] AA^T=A^TA = I[/itex]. To show [itex]A^T[/itex] is orthogonal, make use of the fact that [itex](A^T)^T=A[/itex].

6. Aug 9, 2011 #5
    If you're assumed that A is already orthogonal then you don't need to prove that the columns are orthogonal unit vectors. That's the definition of an orthogonal matrix, thus already being in your assumption that A is orthogonal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook