1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving trigonometric equations

1. Oct 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi there, I am attempting to prove a trigonometric equation using the half angle and double angle formulae

2. Relevant equations
    See image one...

3. The attempt at a solution
    See image two...

I get stuck after the second line and can't see how to continue, please help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2014 #2
    Your denominator is a difference of squares, and can be factored...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  4. Oct 20, 2014 #3
    1 / cosA + sin2A / cos2A = (1+sin2A) / cos2A . And you've got to change 1 = (sinx)^2 + (cosx)^2.

Then, 1+sin2A = (sinA) ^2 + (cosA)^2 + sin2A = (sinA)^2 + 2sinAcosA + (cosA)^2 = (sinA+ cosA)^2

and cos2A = (cosA)^2 - (sinA)^2 =(cosA-sinA)(cosA+sinA)

so (1+sin2A) / cos2A = (sinA + cosA) ^2 / (cosA-sinA)(cosA+sinA) = (sinA + cosA ) / (cosA - sinA)

5. Oct 20, 2014 #4
    This is hard for me to understand, but I'm pretty sure this is incorrect, I believe you made an error copying the problem:
    The actual problem was:
    [itex] \frac{1}{\cos(2x)} + \frac{\sin(2x)}{\cos(2x)} [/itex]
    While you wrote:
    [itex] \frac{1}{\cos(x)} + \frac{\sin(2x)}{\cos(2x)} [/itex]
    As with most problems, I'm sure there are multiple ways to do it, but this is not very close to what I got when I did this problem, but it may just be because I am having a hard time reading your solution

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted