Proving trigonometric equations

In summary, the conversation was about trying to prove a trigonometric equation using the half angle and double angle formulas. The attempt at a solution involved factoring the denominator and using the identities (sin A)^2 + (cos A)^2 = 1 and cos 2A = (cos A)^2 - (sin A)^2. However, there seems to be a mistake in the problem given, as the actual problem was different from the one written in the solution.
peterspencers

Homework Statement

Hi there, I am attempting to prove a trigonometric equation using the half angle and double angle formulae

Homework Equations

See image one...

The Attempt at a Solution

See image two...

I get stuck after the second line and can't see how to continue, please help.[/B]

Attachments

• DSC_0027.jpg
    DSC_0027.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 430
  • DSC_0026.jpg
    DSC_0026.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 389
Physics news on Phys.org
Your denominator is a difference of squares, and can be factored...

Last edited:
1 / cosA + sin2A / cos2A = (1+sin2A) / cos2A . And you've got to change 1 = (sinx)^2 + (cosx)^2.

Then, 1+sin2A = (sinA) ^2 + (cosA)^2 + sin2A = (sinA)^2 + 2sinAcosA + (cosA)^2 = (sinA+ cosA)^2

and cos2A = (cosA)^2 - (sinA)^2 =(cosA-sinA)(cosA+sinA)

so (1+sin2A) / cos2A = (sinA + cosA) ^2 / (cosA-sinA)(cosA+sinA) = (sinA + cosA ) / (cosA - sinA)

Brian_H said:
1 / cosA + sin2A / cos2A = (1+sin2A) / cos2A . And you've got to change 1 = (sinx)^2 + (cosx)^2.

Then, 1+sin2A = (sinA) ^2 + (cosA)^2 + sin2A = (sinA)^2 + 2sinAcosA + (cosA)^2 = (sinA+ cosA)^2

and cos2A = (cosA)^2 - (sinA)^2 =(cosA-sinA)(cosA+sinA)

so (1+sin2A) / cos2A = (sinA + cosA) ^2 / (cosA-sinA)(cosA+sinA) = (sinA + cosA ) / (cosA - sinA)
This is hard for me to understand, but I'm pretty sure this is incorrect, I believe you made an error copying the problem:
The actual problem was:
[itex] \frac{1}{\cos(2x)} + \frac{\sin(2x)}{\cos(2x)} [/itex]
While you wrote:
[itex] \frac{1}{\cos(x)} + \frac{\sin(2x)}{\cos(2x)} [/itex]
As with most problems, I'm sure there are multiple ways to do it, but this is not very close to what I got when I did this problem, but it may just be because I am having a hard time reading your solution

1. How do I prove a trigonometric equation?

To prove a trigonometric equation, you need to use the properties of trigonometric functions and manipulate the equation until both sides are equal. This can involve using identities, simplifying expressions, and applying algebraic techniques. It is important to show each step of your work to ensure a thorough and accurate proof.

2. What are some common identities used in proving trigonometric equations?

Some common identities used in proving trigonometric equations include the Pythagorean identities, the sum and difference identities, the double angle identities, and the half angle identities. These identities allow you to rewrite trigonometric expressions in different forms, which can be useful in simplifying equations.

3. Can I use a calculator to prove a trigonometric equation?

While a calculator can be useful in checking your work, it is not recommended to use it as the primary method of proving a trigonometric equation. Proving an equation requires a clear understanding of trigonometric properties and manipulating equations, which cannot be done solely with a calculator.

4. What strategies can I use to approach proving a trigonometric equation?

One strategy is to start by simplifying one side of the equation using trigonometric identities until it matches the other side. Another strategy is to work with one side of the equation at a time, using algebraic techniques to manipulate the expression until it matches the other side. It is also helpful to keep in mind the fundamental properties of trigonometric functions, such as the periodicity and symmetry.

5. How can I check if my proof for a trigonometric equation is correct?

To check if your proof is correct, you can use a calculator to evaluate the original equation and the final equation you obtained after manipulating it. If both sides are equal, then your proof is correct. You can also try substituting different values for the variables in the equation to see if it holds true for all values. It is always a good idea to double-check your work and show all steps in your proof to ensure accuracy.