Publish your own Solutions Manual?

• Thread starter YoshiMoshi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Manual
In summary, the speaker has a solutions manual for a MATLAB textbook and is wondering if they can publish it online for others to use. They assure that the solutions are their own and they did not include the questions from the textbook. They have seen similar materials online before and believe it could be beneficial for others to learn from. They are also considering contacting the author of the textbook for permission to publish.
YoshiMoshi
Hi,

So several semesters ago I was able to solve every problem from my MATLAB textbook and still have the file. I was wondering what would be the protocol on publishing this material. Not for profit or anything, just host it online some were. I believe that my answers are correct, but I'm sure it's not the bible or anything and would include a statement in the beginning of the code letting people to let me know that if they found a error to contact me. All the solutions are mine and my own material. I had no help from others and solved these problems before actually taking the course under the instructor. I did not included the questions themselves in my file, just the answers. So I don't see why this would be a copy right violation, since all the material is mine.

I've seen other things like this online before were a independent person posts something online of their solutions to all the problems in the book.

I don't want to just delete this solutions manual and would like to share it with others to help them learn the material. I believe that it might also look good on a resume? As self publishing a solutions manual to a degree related course?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe contact the author of the textbook and work out something?

What is a solutions manual?

A solutions manual is a comprehensive guide that includes step-by-step solutions to problems or exercises in a textbook. It is usually created by the author or publisher of the textbook to aid students in understanding and practicing the material.

Why should I publish my own solutions manual?

Publishing your own solutions manual allows you to share your expertise and knowledge with others. It can also be a valuable resource for students who need extra help in understanding the material. Additionally, it can serve as a source of income if you choose to sell it.

How do I create a solutions manual?

To create a solutions manual, you will need a comprehensive understanding of the material and the ability to break down problems into step-by-step solutions. It may also require some technical skills, such as formatting and organizing the content in a clear and concise manner.

Do I need permission from the textbook author to publish a solutions manual?

It is best to seek permission from the textbook author before publishing a solutions manual. This is not only a matter of professional courtesy, but it also ensures that you are not infringing on any copyright laws.

How can I make my solutions manual stand out?

To make your solutions manual stand out, you can include additional explanations, tips, and practice questions. You can also use visuals, such as diagrams or graphs, to enhance the understanding of the material. Additionally, proofreading and ensuring accuracy and clarity can make your solutions manual more valuable to readers.