Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pugh, exercise in err?

1. Mar 24, 2008 #1
    I'm referring to question #26 in chapter 3 of Pugh's Real Mathematical Analysis.
    For those without the book, here's the question:

Let X be a set with a transitive relation # (Note: #is just an abstract relation). It satisfies the condition that for all x1,x2,x3 in X, we have

x1 # x1
    if x1 # x2 # x3 then x1 # x3.

A function f:X -> R (R is the reals) converges to a limit L with respect to X if, given any E>0, there is a y in X such that, for all x in X,
    (y # x) implies |f(x) - L|< E. We write lim f = L to indicate this convergence.

Prove that limits are unique: if lim f = L1 and lim f = L2, then L1 = L2.

Ok now this seems simple enough, but I'm not sure if it's true (even though the book asks us to prove it). Is this a counterexample?

Take X to be the set of natural numbers with the transitive relation = (equality). Let f be a function from the naturals to the reals such that f(1) = 1 and f(2) = 2. Then 1 is a limit of f (take y=1) and 2 is also a limit of f (take y=2).

That would mean that lim f isn't unique. I'm just wondering where this counterexample goes wrong or if the question really is flawed.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2008 #2
    The statement is false as written here. The relation # as defined is called a pre-order, satisfying for all x1,x2,x3 in X:

x1 # x1 (reflexive property)

( (x1 # x2) and (x2 # x3) ) implies (x1 # x3) (transitive property)

I think the statement might still be false even if we specify that the relation # is antisymmetric (which would make it a partial ordering relation instead of a pre-ordering relation):

( (x1 # x2) and (x2 # x1) ) implies (x1 = x2) (antisymmetric property)

Maybe someone else will see a mistake in the counterexample that I don't see, but otherwise it looks sound to me.
  4. Mar 25, 2008 #3
    I think that for the proof you also need the condition for all x1, x2 either x1#x2 or x2#x1
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?