Pulley, Motor and Weight Torque Problem

In summary, the problem involves a motor lowering a 1140kg mass with a tension of 1.04E+4N on the right side of the pulley. The pulley has a moment of inertia of 79.7kgm^2 and a radius of 0.741m. The acceleration of the mass can be determined using the equations T=rxf and a=α*r, but the submitted answer may be incorrect due to a missing picture or sketch of the set-up.
major.triad
Pulley and Motor - Torque Problem

Homework Statement

When the motor in the figure below lowers the m = 1140kg mass, it produces a tension of 1.04E+4N in the cable on the right side of the pulley. The pulley has a moment of inertia of 79.7kgm^2 and a radius of 0.741m. The cable rides over the pulley without slipping. Determine the acceleration of the m = 1140kg mass. Use g=9.81m/s^2.
Draw free-body diagrams of the mass and the pulley. Do not assume that the tension in the cable is the same on both sides of the pulley.

Homework Equations

T=rxf

a=α*r where α = angular acceleration
----> a/r=α

The Attempt at a Solution

mg-[itex]T_1{}[/itex] = ma
[itex]T_2{}[/itex] = 10 400 N

r*([itex]T_1{}[/itex]-[itex]T_2{}[/itex])=I*α
r*([itex]T_1{}[/itex]-[itex]T_2{}[/itex])=I*(a/r)
[itex]T_1{}[/itex]-[itex]T_2{}[/itex]=I*(a/r^2)
(11 183 - 11 40a) - (10 400) = (79.7/0.741^2)a
783-1140a = 145.15a
783 = 1285.15a
a= 0.609 m/s/s

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. The steps all make sense to me, but when I've tried submitting the answer on LON-CAPA it says it's incorrect. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you add a picture, sketch, or scan of the set-up. One picture is worth a lot of words.

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that is used to change the direction of a force or to lift an object. It consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference, and a rope or belt that runs through the groove.

2. How does a motor work?

A motor is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It typically consists of a rotating component, such as a coil of wire or a magnet, and a stationary component, such as a permanent magnet. When an electric current is passed through the motor, it creates a magnetic field that causes the rotating component to move and generate mechanical energy.

3. What is weight torque?

Weight torque is the force that is generated when a weight is attached to a rotating object, such as a pulley or a motor. It is calculated by multiplying the weight of the object by the distance from the rotation point to the point where the weight is attached. Weight torque is important in determining the amount of force required to rotate an object.

4. How do you calculate the torque of a pulley?

To calculate the torque of a pulley, you need to know the weight of the object attached to the pulley, the distance from the rotation point to the point where the weight is attached, and the radius of the pulley. The torque is then calculated by multiplying the weight by the distance and dividing by the radius of the pulley.

5. How does weight torque affect the performance of a motor?

The weight torque of an object attached to a motor can affect its performance by requiring more energy to rotate the object. The greater the weight torque, the more energy is needed to overcome it and rotate the object. This can impact the speed and efficiency of the motor and may require a more powerful motor to handle the weight torque demands.