1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Pulleys, Pulleys, and More Pulleys

1. Jun 21, 2017 #1
    Ok so I will attach an image of two pulley systems. The one on the right is straight forward. Both forces are vertical so the force pulling down on the pulley is easy to figure out. The one on the left makes me a bit more confused. For the one on the left I was wondering if the combined vertical and horizontal forces would place a force in the diagonal direction (at a 45 degree angle?) on both pulleys towards the center of the system? If so how exactly would I figure out how this plays into the pulleys' safe working loads? Thanks for any guidance you can provide. :-)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2017 #2
    Here's the photo.

Attached Files:

4. Jun 21, 2017 #3

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, which would move them to the center, if they are hanging on ropes from the ceiling.

Forces are vectors:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclidean_vector#Addition_and_subtraction

5. Jun 21, 2017 #4
    Cool. Now what if they are inside a metal casing that is bolted to the ceiling? Would I just ignore the horizontal and vertical forces and just use their combined diagonal force when it comes to the pulleys' safe working load?

6. Jun 21, 2017 #5

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the pulleys, yes.

But for the metal casing that is bolted to the ceiling, it does matter which direction you pull, not just the magnitude of the total force.

7. Jun 21, 2017 #6
    Thanks for your guidance. I have a friend who is building a pulley system that is using pulleys in the configuration of the left system I posted. Would you happen to know of any online resource that I could read that address the potential issues that could arise with the metal casing?

8. Jun 21, 2017 #7

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Potential issue is that the metal casing or it's attachment from the ceiling breaks.

9. Jun 21, 2017 #8
    That I am aware of lol. Sorry for not being clear. What I meant was do you have resources in mind that discuss the physics of breaking points of materials that I could read so I can become more familiar with to how to address these types of issues? I am not a physics student so I am teaching myself all of this stuff and at times have a hard time finding online resources to help me understand certain concepts. Any suggestions you have would be very appreciated :-)

10. Jun 21, 2017 #9

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structural_analysis

11. Jun 21, 2017 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted