1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulling a negative out of a square root

1. Jan 18, 2016 #1
    The following is invalid, since the operation is not defined when ##a, b < 0##: ##\sqrt{-1}\sqrt{-1} = \sqrt{(-1)(-1)} = \sqrt{(-1)^2} = \sqrt{1} = 1##. This is not correct, because ##ii = -1##. This shows that ##\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{ab}## is invalid when ##a, b< 0##.

However, say we have ##\sqrt{-5}##. In order to simplify this, we do the following: ##\sqrt{-5} = \sqrt{(-1)(5)} = \sqrt{-1}\sqrt{5} = i\sqrt{5}##. Why is this a valid manipulation given the previous statement that ##\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{ab}## is invalid when ##a, b< 0##?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are applying a criterion where a and b are both less than zero to a situation where only one of them is less than zero. I don't see why you would expect it to apply.

4. Jan 18, 2016 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In my math book (1971 :smile:) the range of the complex square root function is ##-{1\over 2} \pi \lt \arg {\bf z} \le {1\over 2} \pi ##.

With the range of ##\phi = \arg {\bf z} ## : ##- \pi \lt \phi \le \pi ##, and using euler ## \ {\bf z} \equiv |{\bf z}| e^{i\phi} ## we can now define $$ \ \sqrt {\bf z} \equiv\; \sqrt{|{\bf z}|} \; e^{i {\phi\over 2} } $$
    With this definition of the complex square root you can see that ##\sqrt {\bf \alpha\beta} = \sqrt {\bf \alpha} \sqrt {\bf \beta} ## only holds if ## \ |\arg {\bf \alpha} + \arg {\bf \beta} | < \pi ##

Check out the euler formula, de moivre theorem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook