1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulling a sled - find friction & force exerted on puller

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    1. A child pulls a sled with mass 9.0kg through the snow(note: no coefficient of friction given, but there _is_ friction between sled & snow). The sled accelerates at 1.0 m/s2. The rope exerts 27Nt on the sled in the forward direction.

a) what force must the rope exert on the child (magnitude & direction)?

b) What is the magnitude of the frictional force on the sled (hint: it's in the opposite direction of the sled's motion)?

2. Relevant equations

F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

a) 27 Nt, due to Newton's 3rd law, in the opposite direction of the child/sled's motion.

b)
    Frope - Fk = Ftotal = ma

Frope = Fk + ma

27 = Fk + (9 * 1)

18Nt = Fk

are my answers correct? Should their signs be negative, because they are in the opposite direction of the sled's motion? Have I made any glaring omissions regarding the rope's tension?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks good to me. Magnitudes are always positive. (The abbreviation for Newton is N, not Nt.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?