Size of the friction force felt?

In summary: The friction force must be equal and opposite to the normal force. In this problem, the normal force is 119 - 142sin(32) = 43.751 N, so the friction force must be equal and opposite to 43.751 N or 6.898 N.
EricMatthew
Consider a sled being pulled across the snow at a constant velocity. Imagine that a child pulls the sled with a force of 142 N, and that the rope makes an angle of 32 degrees with the horizontal. The sled moves along the snow with a constant velocity. The sled has a weight of 119 N.
a)Draw a diagram showing all the forces exerted on the sled. Break the forces up into components if needed, draw those forces, and come up with equations for those forces.b)What is the size of the normal force felt by the sled?

c)What is the size of the friction force felt by the sled?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble finding the answer to c and I'm lost as to where to get started.

F1 = 142 N
F1y = 142sin(32)
F1x = 142cos(32)

b. ) Normal force is 119 - 142sin(32) = 118.4

b.) All the tutorials I found online mention two different formulas for kinetic and static and the nature of the question leaves me scratching my head as to which one I should apply. Should I just simply divide the weight of the sled by the normal force as such 119/118.4 since it is going at a constant velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
EricMatthew said:
Consider a sled being pulled across the snow at a constant velocity. Imagine that a child pulls the sled with a force of 142 N, and that the rope makes an angle of 32 degrees with the horizontal. The sled moves along the snow with a constant velocity. The sled has a weight of 119 N.
a)Draw a diagram showing all the forces exerted on the sled. Break the forces up into components if needed, draw those forces, and come up with equations for those forces.b)What is the size of the normal force felt by the sled?

c)What is the size of the friction force felt by the sled?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble finding the answer to c and I'm lost as to where to get started.

F1 = 142 N
F1y = 142sin(32)
F1x = 142cos(32)

b. ) Normal force is 119 - 142sin(32) = 118.4

b.) All the tutorials I found online mention two different formulas for kinetic and static and the nature of the question leaves me scratching my head as to which one I should apply. Should I just simply divide the weight of the sled by the normal force as such 119/118.4 since it is going at a constant velocity?

You should check your arithmetic in the normal force calculation before proceeding ...

119 - 142sin (32) = 43.751

Whoops, thank you for that.

So what would be a good way to proceed with c.?

EricMatthew said:
So what would be a good way to proceed with c.?
When the sled if being pulled at constant velocity, what must the friction force be, given the amount of pulling force as described in the problem statement?

If you need to, draw a free body diagram of the sled, and remember Newton's First Law of Motion:

http://teachertech.rice.edu/Participants/louviere/Newton/law1.html

What is friction force?

Friction force is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by microscopic irregularities on the surfaces that interact with each other.

What factors affect the size of the friction force?

The size of the friction force can be affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces. It also depends on the presence of lubricants or fluids between the surfaces.

How is the size of the friction force measured?

The size of the friction force can be measured using a device called a friction force sensor or by using a spring scale. These devices measure the force required to keep two surfaces in motion or to maintain a constant velocity.

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction force?

Static friction force is the force that prevents two surfaces from moving relative to each other when there is no external force applied. Kinetic friction force is the force that opposes the motion between two surfaces that are already in motion relative to each other.

How can the size of the friction force be reduced?

The size of the friction force can be reduced by using lubricants or by making the surfaces smoother. Reducing the force pressing the surfaces together can also decrease the friction force. Additionally, using wheels or rollers can also reduce the friction force by allowing for smoother motion.