1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Push a 22kg crate up a frictinless incline

1. Mar 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    To push a 33 kg crate up a frictionless incline, angled at 15° to the horizontal, a worker exerts a force of 100.4 N, parallel to the incline. As the crate slides 1.50 m, (a)how much work is done on the crate by the worker's applied force? (b) How much work is done on the crate by the weight of the crate? (c) How much work is done on the crate by the normal force exerted by the incline on the crate? (d) What is the total work done on the crate?

2. Relevant equations

I can NOT solve (d)!!!!

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have solved a, b, and c:
    (a) 1.51 x 10^2 J
    (b) -1.26 x 10^2 J
    (c) 0.00 J
    (d) ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2009 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi EmoryGirl,

The total work done on the crate is the work done by all the forces that are acting on the crate. What would that be?

4. Mar 23, 2009 #3
    The forces acting on the crate include the applied force and mg. I'm not sure how they work together in an equation...
    I tried just W=Fd using 100.4N as the the F but I know that is not right

5. Mar 23, 2009 #4

alphysicist

Homework Helper

It's not right because it is only the work from the applied force. Remember that you already have the work done from each individual force that is acting on the crate; what then is the total work done?

6. Mar 23, 2009 #5
    Okay I just solved it! I added the work done by the applied force to the work done by the weight of the crate. The answer is 25 J...I didn't realize that it was so simple!
    Thanks for your help!

7. Mar 23, 2009 #6

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Glad to help, and welcome to PhysicsForums!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook