1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pushing a box across a horizontal floor

1. Nov 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A man wants to push a cardboard box 60 kg along a floor by applying force F in a direction 40 degrees above horizontal. Coefficient of static friction between box and floor is .7.

a) Determine F if box is on verge of moving.

b) Based on part A, determine acceleration along the floor if coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.32.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2012 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

C'mon, you have to at least try yourself before you ask for help...

If you're having trouble deciding where to start... Start by drawing a diagram of all the forces acting on the block. Write each one as a sum of a horizontal and vertical component.

4. Nov 9, 2012 #3
    The problem is I don't know how to draw the force acting on the box. Is the force coming up from ground or going down onto the box from top left? No picture was supplied with problem

5. Nov 9, 2012 #4
    OK, so please tell me if I am heading in right direction. The equations I have so far are as follows:

1. N = Fsin theta + MG
    2. Fcos theta = MsN

Now all I need to do is solve for F and that will be my answer to part A, right???

6. Nov 9, 2012 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It says 'above horizontal', i.e. partly upwards, not downwards.
    Yes.

7. Nov 10, 2012 #6
    which direction is the force acting on the box? I don't get what 'above horizontal means'? I assume the force is pointed downward at the top left corner of the box.

8. Nov 10, 2012 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Benny851! :smile:
    No, "above" means the way the force is going to, not coming from

so the man is pushing upwards against the back of the box at 40° above horizontal. :wink:

(so far as sliding is concerned, the effect should he the same as the more usual case of a rope attached to the front of the box and being pulled at 40° above horizontal)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook