Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Px = P cos θx equation question.

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1
    [tex]P_x = P cos θ_x [/tex]

is Px always the adjacent line of the triangle?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2011 #2
    Yes, if the adjacent side is of a right triangle, where P is the hypotenuse and θ is the angle between the Hypotenuse and adjacent side.

4. Dec 1, 2011 #3
    Thank you. And a new question.

Why would it be Px for adjacent and on the other side be P without a subscript?

5. Dec 1, 2011 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Presumably a vector of magnitude P is being decomposed into its X and Y components, with θx being the angle between P and the X axis. Thus:

Px = P cos(θx)

and

Py = P sin(θx)

attachment.php?attachmentid=41434&stc=1&d=1322799568.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  6. Dec 1, 2011 #5
    Your problem tells me that Px is the component of P in the x-direction. The component of P in the y-direction would be labeled Py. P is the hypotenuse. P might be a force at some angle θ from the x-axis and you are trying to find the component of that force in the x-direction which utilizes the Cosine trig function. If you were trying to find component of the force in the y-direction, Py you would use the sine trig function.

7. Dec 1, 2011 #6
    So would you ever really have the θy?

8. Dec 1, 2011 #7
    Yes, look at gneil's image. θx is measured from the x-axis. θy would be the angle measured from the y-axis and would equal 90 degrees- θx.

9. Dec 1, 2011 #8

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Sure. You never know which angle may be given to you or which one might be determined by some other factor in the problem. Example: problems that specify angles for pendulum strings which reference the vertical direction, not the horizontal.

10. Dec 1, 2011 #9
    Thanks a lot guys. Really! I am in a self study of physics and trigonometry. I am studying electronics and it seems that physics and trig would be a good thing to learn. :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook