1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pytels Dynamics 12.14: particle moves on helix

1. Jun 17, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When a particle moves along the helix shown, the componentsof its position vector are
    x=Rcosωt , y = Rsinωt , ##z=-\frac h {2π} ωt##

where ω is constant. Show that the velocity and acceleration have constant magnitutes,
    and compute their values if R=1.2m, h=0.75m, and ω=4π rad/s
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    for a start I would like someone to tell me by computing vz = dz/dhxdh/dt
    what dh/dt is equal to? Since h = 0.75m = constant, then vz=0 and az = 0
    Is my asumption correct?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2017 #2

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You would not take a derivative with respect to h : h and R are parameters which someone would choose to describe a specific shape and size of helix. Imagine a tightly wound screw, then you have h (the gap between adjacent helix "threads") small in relation to R. If h is larger then it will be a "shallower" spiral (imagine a drill bit). so h and R are considered constants, in this case.

4. Jun 18, 2017 #3
    Can you chek my solution?
    My results are the same as Pytels

Attached Files:

5. Jun 18, 2017 #4

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks right to me. I didn't get out the calculator and check all the numbers. They appear to be in the ballpark, though.

One thing: I would keep the units when doing the work. You made the substitution of w = 4pi and then cancelled out the pi, so that vz = -2h ; which when first looking at it, looks like a distance, not a velocity. But the w carried a dimension of (1/time), which would restore the [Length]/[Time] dimensions of velocity. (radian angle measure is considered dimensionless in most cases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted