Find the potential energy of the particle

In summary: In this case, ##h=q\theta## and ##mgh=mgq\theta##, so your solution seems correct.In summary, the small bead of mass m constrained to move on a helix with coordinates (x,y,z) and position vector r(θ) = (R cos(θ), R sin(θ), qθ) at time t, and subjected to a gravitational acceleration g downward (-z direction), has a potential energy of U=mg(qθ). This can be derived from the definition of potential energy, U(r)=-W(r_0 -> r), by considering the bead's position along the helix, where h=qθ, and using the formula mgh.
1v1Dota2RightMeow

Homework Statement

A small bead of mass m is constrained to move on a helix: r (θ) = (R cos(θ), R sin(θ), q θ) where R and q are constants, and θ=θ(t) describes the position of the bead along the helix at time t. The bead is also subjected to a gravitational acceleration g downward (-z direction). Find the following quantities in terms of θ and dθ/dt.

c) The potential energy U

Homework Equations

r (θ) = (R cos(θ), R sin(θ), q θ)

θ=θ(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm only asking because my attempt at a solution proved to be so simple that I'm a bit nervous about it. If I define the position vector (given above) to have coordinates (x,y,z) and claim that as the particle moves in an upwards (+z) directed helical path, then the potential energy is entirely due to gravity and therefore it is U=mg(qθ). Although I'm not sure if I might have missed something...

Physics news on Phys.org
If only it were always as simple!

PeroK said:
If only it were always as simple!
Yay! Thank you!

Just out of curiosity though, how would I derive this from U(r)=-W(r_0 -> r) (the definition of potential energy)?

1v1Dota2RightMeow said:
Yay! Thank you!

Just out of curiosity though, how would I derive this from U(r)=-W(r_0 -> r) (the definition of potential energy)?

I'm not sure what you mean. The PE in a uniform gravitational field is just ##mgh##.

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or condition. It is the energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy, when the object is in motion.

2. How is potential energy calculated?

Potential energy is calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

3. What is the unit of measurement for potential energy?

The unit of measurement for potential energy is joules (J), which is the same as the unit for work and energy.

4. What factors affect the potential energy of a particle?

The potential energy of a particle is affected by its mass, height, and the force acting on it. It is also affected by external factors such as gravity and electric or magnetic fields.

5. How does potential energy relate to other forms of energy?

Potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, thermal energy, or chemical energy. It is also a form of stored energy that can be released and used to do work.