1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pytels Dynamics 12.26: Block moves along the x-axis

1. Jul 18, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 0.1-kg block moves along the x-axis. The resultant of all forces acting on the block is F = -1.2tiN, where t
    is in seconds. When t=0, x=0 and v=54i m/s.
    Determine the distance traveled by the particle during the time interval t=0 to t=4s.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    See the attached file.

Also, when do I use vector notation in the equations? Is it my choice whether to use it or not?
    What does the minus sign in the solution result mean?
    Next problem is with better pen.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2017 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

pytel_dynamics025-jpg.jpg
    The x(t) function is wrong.
    The problem asks the distance traveled. It is not the same as the displacement, x(final)-x(initial).

4. Jul 19, 2017 #3
    The book gives a result of 128m.
    Basicallly I am confused on how to calculate this. Do I calculate the position at every second (from 0 to 4 seconds) and then...?
    Also x(t) should be ##x(t)=-2t^3+54t##
    By looking the graph of the function when v=0 then t=3 and could be easily calculated.
    At t=3s then x=108m. At t=4s then x=88m.
    So the block had travelled from t=0s to t=3s to the right for 108m and then from t=3s to t=4s to the left for 20m. So distance travelled
    from t=0s to t=4s is 128m.
    How do I calculate this by using a formula?

5. Jul 19, 2017 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The distance traveled is the integral of the speed with respect to time. The speed is magnitude of the velocity ##v=|\vec v|##. The velocity changes sign at t = 3 s, so ##d=\int _0^3(-6t^2+54)dt+\int _3^4(6t^2-54)dt##

6. Jul 19, 2017 #5
    Yes. I've done the math and works fine. 108 from forst integral and 20 from second.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted