Pythagorean Identities - finding sin and cos ?

In summary, Homework Equations:-For tan(theta) = /2/3 (theta in quadrant 2) find sin(pheta) and cos(pheta) using the pythagorean identities.-My trouble is with finding sin and cos from tan.You probably want to use tan(theta)=sin(theta)/cos(theta) and sin(theta)^2+cos(theta)^2=1. Now try it.
nukeman

Homework Statement

For tan(theta) = /2/3 (theta in quadrant 2) find sin(pheta) and cos(pheta) using the pythagorean identities.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Which 2 pythagorean identities would I use?

My trouble is with finding sin and cos from tan.

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably want to use tan(theta)=sin(theta)/cos(theta) and sin(theta)^2+cos(theta)^2=1. Now try it.

Dick said:
You probably want to use tan(theta)=sin(theta)/cos(theta) and sin(theta)^2+cos(theta)^2=1. Now try it.

So, I get this one here: sin(theta)^2+cos(theta)^2=1 - worked out :)

But my other 2 options, according to my text's formula sheet, I can choose from the following formulas?

1+tan^2(theta) = sec^2(theta)

1 + cot^2(theta) = csc^2(theta)

?

nukeman said:

But my other 2 options, according to my text's formula sheet, I can choose from the following formulas?

?

Since your problem involves tan(theta), I'd try working with the first one. sec(theta)=1/cos(theta), yes?

Dick, there is something I am not getting.

My formula sheet has the following 2 formulas to use, and the formula you are telling me is not one of them?

Thanks so much for your help.

nukeman said:
Dick, there is something I am not getting.

My formula sheet has the following 2 formulas to use, and the formula you are telling me is not one of them?

Thanks so much for your help.

sec(theta)=1/cos(theta) may not be in your list of pythogorean identities along with tan(theta)=sin(theta)/cos(theta), but I think you can use them anyway. They are sort of the definition of sec(theta) and tan(theta).

I guess you could start by using the
1 + tan2 θ = sec2 θ
identity to find sec θ, and by extension, cos θ. Then use another Pythagorean identity to find sin θ.

Take the Pythagorean Identity. Divide thru using the sin^2 term. Simplify.
Take the Pythagorean Identity. Divide thru using the cos^2 term. Simplify.
You should derive the two formulas on your formula sheet. They are both restatements of this most important trig identity.

The 'basic' Pythagorean identity is just the Pythagorean theorem- if a right triangle has legs of length a and b and hypotenuse of length c, then [itex]c^2= a^2+ b^2[/itex].

If tan(theta)= 2/3, then the triangle is similar to a triangle with "opposite side" of length 2 and "near side" of length 3. By the Pythagorean theorem, the hypotenuse, c, is given by [itex]c^2= 2^2+ 3^2= 4+ 9= 13[/itex] so the length of the hypotenuse is [itex]\sqrt{13}[/itex]. Now, knowing that you have a right triangle with "opposite side" of length 2, "near side" of length 3, and "hypotenuse" of length [itex]\sqrt{13}[/itex] you can immediately calculate any of the trigonometric functions of this angle.

hi nukeman! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
nukeman said:

?

each of the three Pythagorean identities only relates two functions at a time …

one relates tan and sec, one relates cot and cosec, and one relates cos and sin …

to start from tan and get cos, you need to go from tan to sec (as eumyang :smile: says), then use sec = 1/cos

to start from tan and get sin, you either need to do al that, and then go from cos to sin, or you can start again, use cot = 1/tan, then go from cot to cosec, then use sin = 1/cosec :wink:

1. What are the Pythagorean identities?

The Pythagorean identities are a set of three fundamental trigonometric identities that relate the values of sine, cosine, and tangent of a right triangle. They are based on the Pythagorean theorem and are used to find the values of sine and cosine for any angle.

2. How do you find the sine and cosine values using Pythagorean identities?

To find the sine and cosine values of an angle using Pythagorean identities, you can use the following equations:

• sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1
  • 1 + tan^2(x) = sec^2(x)
  • 1 + cot^2(x) = csc^2(x)
Simply plug in the known values for any two of the three trigonometric functions and solve for the third.

3. What is the difference between the Pythagorean identities and the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean identities and the Pythagorean theorem are related but have different purposes. The Pythagorean theorem is used to find the length of one side of a right triangle when the lengths of the other two sides are known. The Pythagorean identities, on the other hand, are used to find the values of trigonometric functions for any angle in a right triangle.

4. How are Pythagorean identities used in real-life applications?

Pythagorean identities have various real-life applications, such as in engineering, navigation, and physics. For example, they can be used to calculate the height of a building, the distance between two points, or the velocity of an object based on its acceleration and angle.

5. Are there any limitations to using Pythagorean identities?

While Pythagorean identities are a useful tool in solving trigonometric problems, they do have some limitations. They can only be applied to right triangles, and they may not accurately represent values for very large or very small angles. It is also important to use the appropriate Pythagorean identity for the given problem, as using the wrong one can lead to incorrect solutions.