[Q]eigenfunction of position operator and negative energy

In quantum mechanics, the energy of a system is described by the Hamiltonian operator, which is Hermitian, meaning that all of its eigenvalues are real. This ensures that the total energy of a system is always positive. In particle physics, the negative sign can have a physical meaning as it represents the antiparticle of a particle.
good_phy
Hi, Everybody know that eigenfunction of position operator x' is [itex] \delta(x-x') [/itex]

But i also knew that integral of square of current state over entire space is 1(probability)

Then, [itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\delta(x-x')\delta(x-x')^{*} dx [/itex] is 1?

What is conjugate of [itex] \delta(x-x') [/itex]?

And i wandered whether negative energy exists. In classical mechanics, I know potential

energy can have negative sign such as product of electron(negative charge) and voltage.

If electron is at position which potential is larger and kinetic energy of electron, electron

can have negative energy.

Is it vaild in QM?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the product of two delta functions is undefined. Also, a particle is never actually in a position eigenstate. A position measurement squeezes the wavefunction so that it gets a sharp peak, but it never actually becomes a delta function.

The eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian must be bounded from below, but they can be negative. Of course you can always replace H with H'=H+bI, where b is a number and I is the identity operator. With a suitable choice of b, the eigenvalues are going to be positive.

From

[tex] E^2=p^2c^2+m^2c^4 [/tex] then [tex] E=\pm\sqrt(p^2c^2+m^2c^4) [/tex]. Usually we just take the positive sign of E, but actually we can't neglect the minus sign, there's a physical meaning to it.

In particle physics, a minus sign means its antiparticle.

good_phy said:
Hi, Everybody know that eigenfunction of position operator x' is [itex] \delta(x-x') [/itex]

But i also knew that integral of square of current state over entire space is 1(probability)

Then, [itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\delta(x-x')\delta(x-x')^{*} dx [/itex] is 1?

What is conjugate of [itex] \delta(x-x') [/itex]?

[itex] \delta(x-x') [/itex] is a non-normalizable (sometimes called "improper") eigenfunction. This is a real function, so it is equal to its complex conjugate [itex] \delta(x-x')^{*} = \delta(x-x')[/itex], and the integral you wrote is divergent. If you want to work with normalized eigenfunctions of position, you should consider localized functions, like [itex] \sqrt{\delta(x-x')} [/itex], though they are not frequently mentioned in the literature.

And i wandered whether negative energy exists. In classical mechanics, I know potential

energy can have negative sign such as product of electron(negative charge) and voltage.

If electron is at position which potential is larger and kinetic energy of electron, electron

can have negative energy.

Is it vaild in QM?

Yes, interaction potential energy can be negative in both classical and quantum mechanics. However, this does not mean that the total energy can be negative too. For realistic physical systems the (negative) potential energy is much smaller than the (positive) rest energy of involved particles [tex] mc^2 [/tex]. The sum of all energies (rest+kinetic+potential) is always positive.

1. What is the eigenfunction of the position operator?

The eigenfunction of the position operator represents the wave function of a particle at a specific position in space. It is a mathematical function that describes the probability of finding a particle at a particular position.

2. How is the eigenfunction of the position operator related to negative energy?

The eigenfunction of the position operator is related to negative energy through the Schrödinger equation. When solving this equation, negative energy solutions may arise, which correspond to the particle being in a bound state. The eigenfunction of the position operator for these negative energy solutions describes the probability of the particle being found in a bound state at a specific position.

3. Can the eigenfunction of the position operator have complex values?

Yes, the eigenfunction of the position operator can have complex values. In fact, in quantum mechanics, most wave functions (including the eigenfunction of the position operator) are complex-valued. This is because complex numbers are required to accurately describe the behavior of quantum systems.

4. How is the eigenfunction of the position operator used in quantum mechanics?

The eigenfunction of the position operator is used in quantum mechanics to determine the probability of finding a particle at a specific position. It is also used in calculating expectation values and determining the energy levels of a system.

5. Can the eigenfunction of the position operator change over time?

Yes, the eigenfunction of the position operator can change over time. In quantum mechanics, the wave function of a particle evolves over time according to the Schrödinger equation. As the wave function changes, the eigenfunction of the position operator also changes, reflecting the changing probabilities of finding the particle at different positions.