1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Q is closed under division or not?

1. Sep 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Q = rational numbers

My professor proved that it is closed under addition yesterday. I kinda understood a bit...

How the heck does it work for when n_1 or n_2 = 0?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Take a look at the first line. There we take [itex]r_1,r_2\in \mathbb{Q}[/itex]. Then we say that

[tex]r_i=\frac{m_i}{n_i}[/tex]

but obviously this doesn't work for [itex]n_i=0[/itex] since division by zero is not defined in [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex].

That is [itex]\frac{m}{n}\in \mathbb{Q}[/itex] if and only if [itex]n\neq 0[/itex]...

4. Sep 10, 2011 #3
    I thought it is the same logic for integers, I take 1 and 0 and take 0 to be the bottom, can't do that.

If I take 0 and 1 and put 0 on top, that works, but it is an exception when it is the bottom?

5. Sep 10, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, you can never have 0 in the denominator. By definition of a rational number.

6. Sep 10, 2011 #5
    But the whole close division thing i can take two integers (including 0)?

7. Sep 10, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No, an element of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] is defined as a fraction [itex]\frac{m}{n}[/itex], where n is nonzero. So you can't take 0 is the denominator, by definition.

You can't divide by 0.

8. Sep 10, 2011 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. The integers are not closed under division for reasons other than the fact that 1/0 is undefined.

Is 4/3 an integer?

Perhaps you should review the definition of a 'ring'.

9. Sep 10, 2011 #8
    Thank you, you just added more work for me...

10. Sep 10, 2011 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Anytime! You're welcome.

To help out a bit more:

Whether we're discussing the Integers, the Rationals, the Reals, or Complex Numbers (all with the usual arithmetic operations):
    It's always true that 0 times any element is 0, 0 being the identity element for the addition operation. Because of this, there is no multiplicative inverse for 0, and thus division (the operation that is the inverse of multiplication) by 0 is undefined. Therefore, when discussing whether division is closed, we exclude the case of division by zero.​

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook