Q is closed under division or not?

In summary, my professor proved that it is closed under addition yesterday. I kinda understood a bit...I can't divide by 0 because it's undefined, but I can take 0 and 1 and put 0 on top, which is the exception when it's the bottom.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Q = rational numbers

My professor proved that it is closed under addition yesterday. I kinda understood a bit...

Proof

Let [tex]r_1, r_2, \in \mathbb{Q}[/tex]

[tex]r_1 + r_2 = \frac{m_1}{n_1} + \frac{m_2}{n_2} = \frac{m_1 n_2 + n_1 m_2}{n_1 n_2} \in \mathbb{Q}[/tex]

By letting [tex]m_1 n_2 + n_1 m_2 = m_3[/tex] and [tex]n_3 = n_1 n_2[/tex]

Since [tex]m_1, m_2, n_1, n_2[/tex] are integers, [tex]m_1 n_2 + n_1 m_2, n_1 n_2[/tex] are also integers.

So that

[tex]\frac{m_1 n_2 + n_1 m_2}{n_1 n_2} \in \mathbb{Q}[/tex]

How the heck does it work for when n_1 or n_2 = 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at the first line. There we take [itex]r_1,r_2\in \mathbb{Q}[/itex]. Then we say that

[tex]r_i=\frac{m_i}{n_i}[/tex]

but obviously this doesn't work for [itex]n_i=0[/itex] since division by zero is not defined in [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex].

That is [itex]\frac{m}{n}\in \mathbb{Q}[/itex] if and only if [itex]n\neq 0[/itex]...

I thought it is the same logic for integers, I take 1 and 0 and take 0 to be the bottom, can't do that.

If I take 0 and 1 and put 0 on top, that works, but it is an exception when it is the bottom?

Yes, you can never have 0 in the denominator. By definition of a rational number.

But the whole close division thing i can take two integers (including 0)?

flyingpig said:

No, an element of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] is defined as a fraction [itex]\frac{m}{n}[/itex], where n is nonzero. So you can't take 0 is the denominator, by definition.

You can't divide by 0.

flyingpig said:
No. The integers are not closed under division for reasons other than the fact that 1/0 is undefined.

Is 4/3 an integer?

Perhaps you should review the definition of a 'ring'.

SammyS said:
No. The integers are not closed under division for reasons other than the fact that 1/0 is undefined.

Is 4/3 an integer?

Perhaps you should review the definition of a 'ring'.

Thank you, you just added more work for me...

flyingpig said:
Thank you, you just added more work for me...
Anytime! You're welcome.

To help out a bit more:

Whether we're discussing the Integers, the Rationals, the Reals, or Complex Numbers (all with the usual arithmetic operations):
It's always true that 0 times any element is 0, 0 being the identity element for the addition operation. Because of this, there is no multiplicative inverse for 0, and thus division (the operation that is the inverse of multiplication) by 0 is undefined. Therefore, when discussing whether division is closed, we exclude the case of division by zero.​

1. What does it mean for Q to be closed under division?

It means that when dividing any two rational numbers, the result will also be a rational number. In other words, division of two rational numbers will always result in a rational number.

2. How can we prove that Q is closed under division?

To prove that Q is closed under division, we can use the definition of rational numbers as the ratio of two integers. We can also use the closure property of rational numbers under multiplication.

3. Is Q closed under division for all possible rational numbers?

Yes, Q is closed under division for all possible rational numbers. This is because the result of dividing any two rational numbers will always be a rational number.

4. Are there any exceptions to Q being closed under division?

No, there are no exceptions to Q being closed under division. As long as the numbers being divided are rational, the result will always be a rational number.

5. How does the closure property of rational numbers relate to Q being closed under division?

The closure property of rational numbers states that the result of any operation on rational numbers will always be a rational number. This includes division, which is why Q is closed under division.