• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Q.M. harmonic oscillator spring constant goes to zero at t=0

Homework Statement

A one-dimensional harmonic oscillator is in the ground state. At t=0, the spring is cut. Find the wave-function with respect to space and time (ψ(x,t)).

Note: At t=0 the spring constant (k) is reduced to zero.

So, my question is mostly conceptual. Since the spring constant goes to zero at t=0 is it safe to assume that the problem can now be considered as a free particle problem since the potential goes to zero when 'k' goes to zero?

If this assumption is correct I should be able to solve the time independent Schrodinger equation, ψ(x,0), then multiply in the time part and solve for the constant.

I do not see how being a harmonic oscillator will affect my answer since once you cut the spring it is no longer a harmonic oscillator.

Is there something I am missing conceptually?

Answers and Replies

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hello FarticleFysics and welcome to Physics Forums!

So, my question is mostly conceptual. Since the spring constant goes to zero at t=0 is it safe to assume that the problem can now be considered as a free particle problem since the potential goes to zero when 'k' goes to zero?]
Yes, the particle instantaneously becomes free at t = 0. But the wavefunction does not undergo any instantaneous change at t = 0.

##\psi(x, 0^+)## = ##\psi(x, 0^-)##

If this assumption is correct I should be able to solve the time independent Schrodinger equation, ψ(x,0), then multiply in the time part and solve for the constant.
The wavefunction at time t = 0 will not be a solution of the time independent Schrodinger equation for a free particle. But the wavefunction at t = 0 may be expanded as a superposition of solutions of the time independent, free-particle Schrodinger equation. You can then put in a time dependent factor for each member of the superposition.

I do not see how being a harmonic oscillator will affect my answer since once you cut the spring it is no longer a harmonic oscillator.
The harmonic oscillator potential can be thought of as "preparing" the quantum state of the particle at time t = 0.

Last edited: