Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Q regarding Quantum decoherence, r.e. double slit experiment

1. Mar 28, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

My limited knowledge of quantum decoherence leads me to believe that it can be demonstrated experimentally via rather humble apparatus involving low power lightbulbs, a few sensors, & some plywood with holes in & some switches etc.

I was just wondering what kind of pattern you get if you removed the plywood bit of the experiment; do you get a totally random scatter in an undefinable area, a random scatter within a circumference, a shaded circle diffusing towards the edge, a picture of Elvis etc?

Preemptive thanks!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2012 #2
    I know my nooby question is being battled out elsewhere (it's kind of hard to know where to insert yourself with all the different opinions and ideas floating around), but this has got to be an easy question for someone to give a solid answer to hasn't it!?

So far from other posts, I gather that a single electron with no intervening structure would have a random scatter at the end plate, right? Very particular.
    So, let's say we have the same apparatus, but the end plate is bigger (like a cinema screen, we can call it the Big Screen Electron Absorptionator).

Surely, at some scale, if the individually fired electrons want to behave as both a particle and a wave, you will after a time develop patterns something like a concentric circle pattern unobserved, and something like a shaded circle when observed, assuming the energy scales involved are detectible? Anyone?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook