1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Q: Torque-speed? Motors and rotating plinths - Please help!

1. Jun 29, 2009 #1
    Dear engineering gurus,

I was wondering if some of you might be able to help me out with my project (2 part question):

I'm basically trying to make a rotating plinth (like those used
    in jewelry displays - except i need it to bear a weight of 1kg.
    (Most ready-made plinths wont take anywhere near that so i imagine id have to build my own.

Now i've come across a small motor (MM54) that has the following info for its specs:

Constant Volts: 6 - 9
    Speed RPM: 8900 - 16200
    Torque (g-cm): 174 - 236
    Stall torque (g-cm): 980 - 1800

My first question is - would anyone know if this motor is powerful enough to take the weight of 1kg and still function?
    (Am i right to be choosing a motor that has a high torque speed?) Is there another motor that someone could recommend that would suit my purpose?

Second question - As i need to bring this down to about 1 RPM, can anyone recommend a gearbox that will allow me to do this?
    (Is this even possible with the motor i'm suggesting?)

Apologies if my questions seem a little inept - ive never done anything quite like this before. And i really really appreciate any help or suggestions...

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2009 #2
    Go to www.ebay.com[/URL] and search for "gear motor". I got over 1000 hits. Some are around 1 RPM.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Jun 29, 2009 #3
    Hi Bob,

Thanks for that.

I found 2 other motors that (i believe) seem more appropriate:

The one is: 12V, 1 RPM, 65 Stall-torque (in-oz)
    The other is: 12V, 2 RPM, 31 Stall-torque

If i wanted to have a bit more control in the RPM, should i be getting
    the second one that is 2RPM and then get a dimmer-switch type thing to adjust it?
    Would that work?

And also, what is the relation between my 1kg weight requirement and the 'stall-torque'?
    Is 31 stall-torque alot? does it equate to a weight capacity? Could i go for maybe something that has 7RPM but then only 16 stall-torque?

Thanks again.

5. Jun 29, 2009 #4
    1 kg is the just the vertical mass the unit has to support. The required torque is probably less than 0.5 inch oz (or maybe 10 gram-cm). If you get a dc one, you can adjust the speed by reducing the input voltage.

6. Jun 29, 2009 #5
    Ah ok,

So the 12V motor with 31 stall torque is more than 60x what i need to rotate the 1kg?

Great.

Thanks again for the help Bob.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook