Qanat (subterranean channel) water profiles

In summary, Qanat is a traditional irrigation system that involves digging a subterranean channel to transport water from a source to a desired location. The water profiles of a Qanat typically consist of a gentle slope to allow for natural flow, with the water being stored in underground reservoirs for later use. This system has been used for centuries and is still in use in many arid regions of the world, providing a reliable and sustainable source of water for agriculture and domestic use.
pingulii
(First:my english speaking and writingis not good.sorry) i read a paper about Qanat water profile (Modeling of water surface profile in subterranean channel by DQM) and i have a question about it:
what is the application of subterranean channel water profiles? where is it usefull?in where?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Many communities in hot, arid climates depend upon qanats for their water supply. I imagine that knowing what controls flow rates, water depth etc in such systems would be important to ensure they are used with maximum efficiency. Perhaps you could provide a link to the paper you mentioned.

Ophiolite said:
Many communities in hot, arid climates depend upon qanats for their water supply. I imagine that knowing what controls flow rates, water depth etc in such systems would be important to ensure they are used with maximum efficiency. Perhaps you could provide a link to the paper you mentioned.

Modeling of water surface profile in subterranean channel by differential quadrature method (DQM)
Applied Mathematical Modelling, Volume 33, Issue 3, March 2009, Pages 1295-1305
Amir Robati, Gholam Abbas Barani
download it from http://www.sciencedirect.com

1. What is a Qanat?

A Qanat is a type of subterranean channel system used for water irrigation and distribution in dry regions. It is an underground water management system that originated in Persia and is still used in many countries today.

2. How does a Qanat work?

A Qanat consists of a series of vertical shafts, connected by underground tunnels, that transport water from a source, usually a groundwater aquifer, to the surface. The shafts and tunnels are carefully engineered to allow water to flow downhill by gravity, without the need for pumps.

3. What are the benefits of using Qanats?

Qanats have several advantages over traditional surface irrigation systems. They are more efficient, as they reduce water loss due to evaporation and seepage. They also allow for more precise control and distribution of water, leading to higher crop yields. Qanats also help to conserve water resources and are more resilient to drought and climate change.

4. What are some challenges associated with Qanats?

One of the main challenges with Qanats is the maintenance and upkeep of the system. The underground channels and shafts can become clogged or damaged over time, requiring regular cleaning and repairs. In addition, the construction of Qanats requires skilled labor and can be costly, making it difficult for some communities to implement this water management system.

5. Are Qanats still used today?

Yes, Qanats are still used in many countries, particularly in arid and semi-arid regions. In Iran, for example, there are over 33,000 Qanats still in use. Qanats are also found in countries such as Afghanistan, China, India, and Morocco. While modern technologies have replaced Qanats in some areas, they are still an important source of water for many communities.