Qestion about pressure transducer

In summary, the problem is to measure the volume of water in a tank with a shape that is a cylinder with a concave base. The solution involves using a TECSIS pressure transducer with a built-in microcontroller and analog output to convert the pressure value to volume. This can be done by setting the microcontroller to give an indication of volume instead of current, using the equations P=density*g*(volume/Pi*r^2) for the cylinder shape and V=1/3*pi*h^2(3r-h) for the spherical cap shape. The transducer can be switched and the volume can be separated between the two shapes. A diagram with dimensions would be helpful and it is suggested to refresh one's memory regarding applications
fatima_ib89
i have to install a pressure transducer to convert the pressure value to volume, but its not the problem, the shape of the water tank , the water tank like cylinder but the base is concave to the bottom, how can i do that ? please
thank you all

Physics news on Phys.org
A diagram with dimensions would be helpful. Try to solve the problem so we can see where to help.

First, thank you for reply
i want to measure the volume of water in the tank by using TECSIS pressure transducer with built in microcontroller and analoge output from it between 4-20mA , by using this equation P=g*h*density, i can get analoge output which indicate the volume, of course after set the microcontroller ,but the shape of the tank like cylinder and concave to the bottom-see the attachment-this means that i have two equation of the volume, what can i use with the transducer to solve this problem?

Attachments

• water tank.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 187
I would refresh your memory regarding applications of triple integrals in calculus. You have a shape that looks like a hemisphere, you are trying to find its volume bounded by a plane at different heights measured from the bottom of the hemisphere. My "Mathematical handbook of Formulas and Tables" shows the volume of a Spherical cap of Radius r and Height h to be:

V=1/3*pi*h^2(3r-h)

The volume of a Right Circular cylinder of radius r and Height h is:

V=pi*r^2*h

You have two equations for Volume vs height, one for the sphere and another for the cylinder

you are extremely right, but for example when the pressure equal 2 bar the output current will be 6 mA,
from this equation P=density*h*g i can get P=density*g*(volume/Pi*r^2) this is for cylinder
so i can set the microcontroller in the transducer to give me indication of volume instead of current
ex:
P= 1000*9.8*(volume/Pi*r^2)....for pure water so the volume = p*(pi*r^2)/1000*9.8
for 1m reduis
volume = p*3.14/1000*9.8...when pressure=2 bar
volume = 64 m^3, and the transdcucer should give me 6mA but i can set the microcontroler
(proportional control) to give me for example 0.64

continue...
this is all equation for cylinder, but there is a spherical cap shap as u said , is there any method to switch the transducer and separate the volume indication between this two shapes ..i hope u get it other wise i would have a mistake in my delivery ..thank you

1. What is a pressure transducer?

A pressure transducer is a device that converts pressure into an electrical signal. It measures the force exerted by a fluid or gas on a surface and produces an output signal that can be read and interpreted by other devices, such as a computer or display.

2. How does a pressure transducer work?

A pressure transducer works by using a sensing element, such as a diaphragm or piezoelectric crystal, that deforms in response to pressure. This deformation causes a change in the electrical properties of the element, which is then converted into an output signal by the transducer's electronic circuitry.

3. What are the different types of pressure transducers?

There are several types of pressure transducers, including strain gauge, capacitive, piezoelectric, and optical. Each type has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications. For example, strain gauge transducers are reliable and cost-effective, while piezoelectric transducers have a fast response time and high accuracy.

4. What are the common applications of pressure transducers?

Pressure transducers are used in many industries and applications, such as automotive, aerospace, medical, and industrial processes. They can be used to measure and control pressure in systems, monitor fluid levels, and detect leaks or changes in pressure.

5. How do I choose the right pressure transducer for my application?

Choosing the right pressure transducer depends on several factors, including the type and range of pressure to be measured, the environment in which it will be used, and the required accuracy and response time. It is important to consult with a knowledgeable supplier or engineer to determine the best transducer for your specific application.