1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QFT: differential cross section from center of mass to lab frame

1. Apr 3, 2013 #1
    I have the following process: two ingoing particles, a photon hitting a nucleus, and two outgoing particles, the nucleus and a pion. I have computed |M|2 and the differential cross section in the center of mass frame dσ/dΩCM; I now have to go into the lab frame, where the nucleus is initially at rest, and consider the limit of a infinite massive nucleus MN→∞, and compute dσ/dΩlab.

Is there a general procedure to go from the first to the second? I first wrote dσ/dt and then multiplied it for a rather complicated expression that I found on a book to obtain dσ/dΩlab. However, taking the infinite massive nucleus limit, the result I get is not what I'm supposed to.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2013 #2
    you should involve the fact
    (dσ/dΩ')lab dΩ'=(dσ/dΩ)CM dΩ,which exploits the fact that the number of scattered particles passing through a cross section is same in both frames.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted