Scattering Cross-Section from a Central Force

In summary, an object from space, such as an asteroid, has the potential to collide with Earth if its scattering cross-section is less than π*Re2. This can be determined using the Rutherford scattering formula and an approximation of Earth's gravitational force. For large initial velocities, the cross-section approaches the minimum value and can be expressed in terms of g, vo, and Re. The impact parameter, which determines whether a collision will occur, can be calculated using conservation of energy and angular momentum.
CM Longhorns

Homework Statement

An object from space (like an asteroid) approaches Earth. A collision will occur if the scattering cross-section is less than π*Re2. If the distance of closest approach is much greater than Re, no collision would occur. Find an implicit expression for the cross-section in terms of g, vo, and Re. Show explicitly that the cross-section approaches the minimum value for large vo, and find the appropriate dimensionless parameter.

g: acceleration due to Earth's gravity
vo: velocity of incoming object
Re: radius of Earth

Homework Equations

Rutherford scattering formula:
dσ/dΩ = k2/16E2*1/sin4(θ/2)

Total energy:
E = ½μr'2 - k/r + L2/2μr2

The Attempt at a Solution

I knew to use the Rutherford scattering formula because the scattering cross-section arises from an inverse square law (the gravitational force.) By doing some manipulation of the force constant:
GMem ≈ g*m
Me + m ≈ Me ⇒ μ ≈ m
and approximating E by the kinetic energy T at very large r:
E ≈ ½mvo2
I arrive at
dσ/dΩ = g^2/4vo2*1/sin4(θ/2)

This is an expression including g, and vo... but where can we relate Earth's radius, Re?

It seems like the differential cross section will approach Re for large vo, but I can't seem to express that mathematically. I'll need help understanding that first part. I could then use hints for finding the impact parameter per the last part of the question.
I'm quite confused at this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
The object will hit Earth if its minimal distance is below the radius of earth. For a fixed initial velocity, this corresponds to a certain impact parameter you can calculate.

Do I calculate the impact parameter in terms of vo using equations of orbital motion?

What else?
If you don't find a direct formula, you can also derive it based on energy and angular momentum conservation.

Resolved. I derived it the second way. Thanks

1. What is scattering cross-section from a central force?

Scattering cross-section from a central force is a measure of how likely it is for a particle to scatter in a particular direction when interacting with a central force. It is an important concept in quantum mechanics and is used to understand the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

2. How is the scattering cross-section calculated?

The scattering cross-section is calculated by taking the ratio of the scattered flux (i.e. the number of scattered particles per unit area per unit time) to the incident flux (i.e. the number of incident particles per unit area per unit time). This calculation involves solving the Schrodinger equation for the wavefunction of the particle in the presence of the central force.

3. What is the relationship between scattering cross-section and the potential energy of the central force?

There is a direct relationship between the scattering cross-section and the potential energy of the central force. As the potential energy increases, the scattering cross-section also increases. This means that particles are more likely to scatter in the presence of a stronger central force.

4. What does a larger scattering cross-section indicate?

A larger scattering cross-section indicates a higher probability of scattering in a particular direction. This means that the particle is more likely to be deflected or scattered by the central force, rather than moving in a straight path.

5. How is scattering cross-section from a central force used in research?

Scattering cross-section from a central force is used in various fields of research, such as particle physics, nuclear physics, and astrophysics. It helps scientists understand the behavior of particles and the forces acting on them, which can lead to insights about the fundamental laws of nature and the structure of matter.