1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scattering Cross-Section from a Central Force

1. Nov 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object from space (like an asteroid) approaches Earth. A collision will occur if the scattering cross-section is less than π*Re2. If the distance of closest approach is much greater than Re, no collision would occur. Find an implicit expression for the cross-section in terms of g, vo, and Re. Show explicitly that the cross-section approaches the minimum value for large vo, and find the appropriate dimensionless parameter.

g: acceleration due to Earth's gravity
    vo: velocity of incoming object
    Re: radius of Earth

2. Relevant equations
    Rutherford scattering formula:
    dσ/dΩ = k2/16E2*1/sin4(θ/2)

Total energy:
    E = ½μr'2 - k/r + L2/2μr2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I knew to use the Rutherford scattering formula because the scattering cross-section arises from an inverse square law (the gravitational force.) By doing some manipulation of the force constant:
    GMem ≈ g*m
    Me + m ≈ Me ⇒ μ ≈ m
    and approximating E by the kinetic energy T at very large r:
    E ≈ ½mvo2
    I arrive at
    dσ/dΩ = g^2/4vo2*1/sin4(θ/2)

This is an expression including g, and vo... but where can we relate Earth's radius, Re?

It seems like the differential cross section will approach Re for large vo, but I can't seem to express that mathematically. I'll need help understanding that first part. I could then use hints for finding the impact parameter per the last part of the question.
    I'm quite confused at this point.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The object will hit earth if its minimal distance is below the radius of earth. For a fixed initial velocity, this corresponds to a certain impact parameter you can calculate.

4. Nov 24, 2014 #3
    Do I calculate the impact parameter in terms of vo using equations of orbital motion?

5. Nov 24, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What else?
    If you don't find a direct formula, you can also derive it based on energy and angular momentum conservation.

6. Nov 24, 2014 #5
    Resolved. I derived it the second way. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted