QM: Changing indices of wavefunctions

In summary, the professor said that the wavefunction for well a is the same for particle 1 and particle 2, but that the wavefunction is not physically observable.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

I am looking at a potential with two wells, where we denote the wells a and b. Now there are two electrons in this setup, which we label 1 and 2. I have the following innerproduct:

[tex]
\left\langle {\phi _b (x_1 )} \right|\left\langle {\phi _a (x_2 )} \right|\mathord{\buildrel{\lower3pt\hbox{$\scriptscriptstyle\frown$}}
\over H} \left| {\phi _b (x_1 )} \right\rangle \left| {\phi _a (x_2 )} \right\rangle,
[/tex]

where H = H1+H2+Vee.

Now my question is that at a lecture, the professor suddenly said that it was OK to switch particle-indices of the wavefunctions (i.e. to change 1 and 2). Then he continued calculating, but he did not explain why this is so.

Can you tell me why? I can see that the wavefunction for well a is the same for particle 1 and particle 2, but I can't see why this justifies just changing the indices as one pleases.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The expectation value of the Hamiltonian must be invariant under the exchange of particles; after all, the particles are both electrons, so they're identical.

So you are saying that:

[tex]
\left\langle {\phi _b (x_1 )} \right|\left\langle {\phi _a (x_2 )} \right|\hat H \left| {\phi _b (x_1 )} \right\rangle \left| {\phi _a (x_2 )} \right\rangle =
\left\langle {\phi _b (x_2 )} \right|\left\langle {\phi _a (x_1 )} \right|\hat H \left| {\phi _b (x_2 )} \right\rangle \left| {\phi _a (x_1 )} \right\rangle =
\left\langle {\phi _b (x_1 )} \right|\left\langle {\phi _a (x_1 )} \right|\hat H \left| {\phi _b (x_1 )} \right\rangle \left| {\phi _a (x_1 )} \right\rangle =
\left\langle {\phi _b (x_2 )} \right|\left\langle {\phi _a (x_2 )} \right|\hat H \left| {\phi _b (x_2 )} \right\rangle \left| {\phi _a (x_2 )} \right\rangle
[/tex]

because the wavefunction is the same for both particle, so <H> is the same no matter what indices we use?

The wavefunction is not invariant under particle exchange. In fact, because the electrons are fermions, the wavefunction picks up a minus sign when you exchange particles.

However, the wavefunction is not physically observable. All observables, however, must be invariant under any transformation which leaves the overall physical configuration the same.

My trouble is that I have an expression on the form:

[tex]
<H> = \left\langle {\phi _a (x_1 )} \right|\left\langle {\phi _b (x_2 )} \right|H\left| {\phi _a (x_1 )} \right\rangle \left| {\phi _b (x_2 )} \right\rangle - \left\langle {\phi _b (x_1 )} \right|\left\langle {\phi _a (x_2 )} \right|H\left| {\phi _a (x_1 )} \right\rangle \left| {\phi _b (x_2 )} \right\rangle - \left\langle {\phi _a (x_1 )} \right|\left\langle {\phi _b (x_2 )} \right|H\left| {\phi _b (x_1 )} \right\rangle \left| {\phi _a (x_2 )} \right\rangle + \left\langle {\phi _b (x_1 )} \right|\left\langle {\phi _a (x_2 )} \right|H\left| {\phi _b (x_1 )} \right\rangle \left| {\phi _a (x_2 )} \right\rangle,
[/tex]

where I know that:

[tex]
\left\langle {\phi _a (x_1 )} \right|\left\langle {\phi _b (x_2 )} \right|H\left| {\phi _b (x_1 )} \right\rangle \left| {\phi _a (x_2 )} \right\rangle =0.
[/tex]

According to what we've talked about, I am allowed to change the indices 1 and 2 as long as <H> is unchanged. But since I don't know what <H> is, how can I even start thinking about changing indices?

Thanks for helping me.

1. What is the significance of changing indices in wavefunctions?

Changing indices in wavefunctions allows us to describe the state of a quantum system in different reference frames. This is important in understanding how the system behaves and evolves over time.

2. How do changing indices affect the properties of a wavefunction?

The properties of a wavefunction, such as its amplitude and phase, may change when the indices are changed. This reflects the change in the reference frame and can affect the measurements and predictions of the system.

3. Can changing indices affect the probability of finding a particle in a certain state?

Yes, changing indices can affect the probability of finding a particle in a certain state. This is because the indices represent the state of the system and changing them can alter the probability distribution of the system.

4. Are there any limitations to changing indices in wavefunctions?

Yes, there are limitations to changing indices in wavefunctions. This technique is only applicable to systems with discrete energy levels and cannot be used for continuous systems.

5. How is the concept of changing indices related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

Changing indices in wavefunctions is related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle in that it allows us to measure different properties of a quantum system with varying levels of precision. This is because the act of changing indices affects the properties of the wavefunction and therefore, the measurements made on the system.