QM - Deriving the Ladder Operators' Eigenbasis

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the relations a|n\rangle=\sqrt{n}|n-1\rangle and a^{\dagger}|n\rangle=\sqrt{n+1}|n+1\rangle using the facts that [a,a+]=1 and N|n>=|n>, where N=a^{\dagger}a and \langle n|N|n\rangle=n\geq 0. The conversation also explores the concept of a phase factor and how it can be absorbed into the definition of states without affecting any observable results.
Tangent87
I'm am trying to derive the relations:

[tex]a|n\rangle=\sqrt{n}|n-1\rangle[/tex]
[tex]a^{\dagger}|n\rangle=\sqrt{n+1}|n+1\rangle[/tex]

using just the facts that [a,a+]=1 and N|n>=|n> where [tex]N=a^{\dagger}a[/tex] (which implies [tex]\langle n|N|n\rangle=n\geq 0[/tex]). This is what I've done so far:

[tex][a,a^{\dagger}]=1 \Rightarrow aa^{\dagger}|n\rangle=(n+1)|n\rangle[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow a^{\dagger}a(a^{\dagger}|n\rangle)=(n+1)(a^{\dagger}|n\rangle)[/tex]

Therefore, [tex]a^{\dagger}|n\rangle=K|n+1\rangle[/tex] for some K (possibly complex).

Taking the conjugate and then multiplying together gives:

[tex]\langle n|aa^{\dagger}|n\rangle=\langle n|1+N|n\rangle=n+1=|K|^2[/tex]

So my question is how do we conclude from this that [tex]K=\sqrt{n+1}[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking why [tex]K[/tex] has no phase? Because of the orthogonality of the [tex]|n\rangle[/tex], there are no observables that could depend on such a phase, so it can be absorbed into the definition of the states. It's not that tricky to show this if you express [tex]|n\rangle[/tex] in terms of [tex](a^\dagger)^n | 0\rangle[/tex].

fzero said:
Are you asking why [tex]K[/tex] has no phase? Because of the orthogonality of the [tex]|n\rangle[/tex], there are no observables that could depend on such a phase, so it can be absorbed into the definition of the states. It's not that tricky to show this if you express [tex]|n\rangle[/tex] in terms of [tex](a^\dagger)^n | 0\rangle[/tex].

Yes that's exactly what I'm asking, like why can't K be say, [tex]e^{i\pi/276}\sqrt{n+1}[/tex]? As this satisfies the condition |K|2=n+1. I don't really like the idea of showing it by expressing [tex]|n\rangle[/tex] in terms of [tex](a^\dagger)^n | 0\rangle[/tex] because doesn't that already assume [tex]K=\sqrt{n+1}[/tex]?

You can assume that

[tex] a^\dagger |n\rangle = \sqrt{n+1} e^{i\alpha_n} | n+1\rangle ,[/tex]

then

[tex] |n\rangle = \frac{1}{n!} \exp\left(-\sum_n \alpha_n\right) (a^\dagger)^n | 0\rangle.[/tex]

Now let [tex]\hat{A}[/tex] be some operator that we can express in terms of [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]a^\dagger[/tex]. We can show that [tex]\langle 0 | \hat{A} |0\rangle [/tex] is either zero or independent of the [tex]\alpha_n[/tex].

Note, I don't think the HW problem expects you to go through all this, but it's probably worthwhile doing anyway. I think they just expect you to decide that there's no real reason to introduce a phase, so you don't.

fzero said:
You can assume that

[tex] a^\dagger |n\rangle = \sqrt{n+1} e^{i\alpha_n} | n+1\rangle ,[/tex]

Agreed.

fzero said:
then

[tex] |n\rangle = \frac{1}{n!} \exp\left(-\sum_n \alpha_n\right) (a^\dagger)^n | 0\rangle.[/tex]

Do you mean [tex] |n\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{n!}} \exp\left(-i\sum_n \alpha_n\right) (a^\dagger)^n | 0\rangle.[/tex]?

fzero said:
Now let [tex]\hat{A}[/tex] be some operator that we can express in terms of [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]a^\dagger[/tex]. We can show that [tex]\langle 0 | \hat{A} |0\rangle [/tex] is either zero or independent of the [tex]\alpha_n[/tex].

Do you mean [tex]\langle n | \hat{A} |n\rangle [/tex]? I can see why that wouldn't depend on the [tex]\alpha_n[/tex] because the exponentials would cancel so now we've shown that no observables can depend on the phase but I would be grateful if you could explain a little further how this tells us we can "absorb" the phase into the states. What would happen if we just left the phase outside the states? As we've shown it doesn't affect any observable results?

fzero said:
Note, I don't think the HW problem expects you to go through all this, but it's probably worthwhile doing anyway. I think they just expect you to decide that there's no real reason to introduce a phase, so you don't.

Yes sorry about this, in an exam I would be happy just to write "...since we can absorb the phase into the states" but I want to be thorough now so that I can properly understand this when it comes to the exam.

Thanks, Tangent.

Tangent87 said:
Agreed.

Do you mean [tex] |n\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{n!}} \exp\left(-i\sum_n \alpha_n\right) (a^\dagger)^n | 0\rangle.[/tex]?

Yes, I left out the i by mistake.

Do you mean [tex]\langle n | \hat{A} |n\rangle [/tex]?

Well I suppose we could consider [tex]\langle n | \hat{A} |m\rangle [/tex] to be most general, but the calculation is the same.

I can see why that wouldn't depend on the [tex]\alpha_n[/tex] because the exponentials would cancel so now we've shown that no observables can depend on the phase but I would be grateful if you could explain a little further how this tells us we can "absorb" the phase into the states. What would happen if we just left the phase outside the states? As we've shown it doesn't affect any observable results?

Since no observables depend on the phase, there's no measurement that we can do to detect the phase. So we can just set the phases to zero without losing any information. Put another way, we know that the objects [tex]c|n\rangle[/tex], where [tex]c[/tex] is a nonzero complex number, represent the same quantum state as [tex]|n\rangle[/tex]. This is what let's us normalize states. So the states [tex]e^{\pm i \alpha}|n\rangle[/tex] and [tex]|n\rangle[/tex] are the same. This last way of looking at it is probably the most direct.

fzero said:
Since no observables depend on the phase, there's no measurement that we can do to detect the phase. So we can just set the phases to zero without losing any information. Put another way, we know that the objects [tex]c|n\rangle[/tex], where [tex]c[/tex] is a nonzero complex number, represent the same quantum state as [tex]|n\rangle[/tex]. This is what let's us normalize states. So the states [tex]e^{\pm i \alpha}|n\rangle[/tex] and [tex]|n\rangle[/tex] are the same. This last way of looking at it is probably the most direct.

Ahh I see, thanks very much.

1. What is the purpose of deriving ladder operators' eigenbasis?

The purpose of deriving ladder operators' eigenbasis in quantum mechanics is to understand the energy levels and corresponding eigenstates of a quantum system. The ladder operators are mathematical operators that allow us to move up or down in energy levels and determine the probabilities of different energy states.

2. How do you derive the ladder operators' eigenbasis?

The ladder operators' eigenbasis can be derived using the commutation relations between the Hamiltonian operator and the ladder operators. By solving the commutator equations, we can find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the ladder operators, which correspond to the energy levels and eigenstates of the system.

3. What is the significance of the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the ladder operators?

The eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the ladder operators represent the energy levels and corresponding quantum states of a system. These values are important for understanding the behavior and properties of a quantum system, such as the probabilities of different energy states and the transitions between them.

4. Can the ladder operators' eigenbasis be applied to any quantum system?

Yes, the ladder operators' eigenbasis can be applied to any quantum system that can be described by a Hamiltonian operator. This includes systems such as atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles.

5. How do the ladder operators relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The ladder operators play a key role in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle by representing the position and momentum of a quantum system. The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. The ladder operators help us calculate these quantities and understand the limitations of our knowledge about a quantum system.