1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM: Finite square well with V>0

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all.

When talking about the finite square well with a potential V > 0 for - A < x < A, I have never seen an example of bound states (i.e. E<0). They only treat examles with scattering states (i.e. E>0). Is there any reason for this? My book (Griffith's Intro. to QM) does not talk about this scenario.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2
    If V>0, then this is not a square well, but a square barrier. Bound states do not exist in this situation.
  4. Sep 21, 2008 #3
    Ahh yes, barrier - not well! Why is that?
  5. Sep 21, 2008 #4
    A well is when V<0, so the particle can "fall in". A barrier is V>0, so there's an obstacle. I'm not sure about a formal proof, but it is hard to imagine a particle bound to a wall. Total energy must be negative somewhere if there is to be a bound state, but kinetic energy is always positive, plus positive potential = no bound state.
  6. Sep 21, 2008 #5
    Can one use the explanation that the energy E always has to be larger than the minimum potential?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?