1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM: Infinitesimal Generator for Scale Transformation

1. Nov 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The scale transformation is a continuous transformation which acts on a function f(x) according to

[tex]D_{s}[/tex]f(x) = f(sx)

where s is a real number. There is a continuous family of such transformations, including the identity transformation corresponding to s = 1. Calculate the infinitesimal generator for scale transformation in terms of familiar quantum operators.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This question was in a foreign language to me. I don't recall ever hearing of such a thing as an 'infinitesimal generator' in my quantum mechanics course, so I have absolutely NO clue what this question means or how to do it. Any guidance is much appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2008 #2
    To demonstrate how we found the generator, lets consider the case of the translation operator

[tex] T(x)[f(x)] = f(x-a) [/tex] (translation by a)

For an infinitesimal translation [tex]\delta[/tex]

[tex] T(\delta)[f(x)] = f(x-\delta) = f(x) - \delta \frac{df(x)}{dx} = \left( 1 - \delta \frac{d}{dx} \right) f(x) = \left( 1 - i\delta\frac{p}{\hbar} \right) f(x) [/tex]

In this case, [tex]\frac{p}{\hbar}[/tex] (or just p) is called the generator of the infinitesimal translation.

Maybe you can proceed accordingly for the scale trasformation?

For further information you may consider any graduate-level textbooks for QM. (e.g. Sakurai)
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?