1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM - Transmission coefficient for square well

1. Aug 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A steady stream of 5 eV electrons impinges on a square well of depth 10 eV. The width of the well is 7.65 * 10^-11 m. What fraction of electrons are transmitted?

2. Relevant equations
    The following equation for the transmission coefficient, T, is given:
    [tex] T = [1 + \frac{V_0 ^2 sinh^2 κa}{4E(V_0 - E)}]^-1[/tex] (**that is meant to be ^-1 for the whole bracket - apologies, this is my first time using LaTex**)
    Where [tex] κ^2 = \frac{8mπ^2}{h^2}(V_0 - E)[/tex]

We are also provided with a not-so-subtle hint that [tex] sinh~iθ = i~sinh~θ [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So I have assigned the following values based on the information:

a = 7.65 * 10^-11 m
    E = 5 eV
    V = - 10 eV
    m = 9.11 * 10^-31 kg

It then seems like it should be very straightforward. I calculate ka and found this to be 1.52i. Then using the definition of sinh I calculate [itex] sinh^2 κa = -4.73[/itex].
    Plugging the other values in I arrive at [tex] T = 0.388 [/tex] which seemed reasonable to me, but..... The postgrad who marked my work fed back to me that the numerical answer he had was T = 0.75.
    I'd be really grateful if someone can check the calculation for me, because it's really bugging me that I can't see my error.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The h in the denominator for κ2 should be h2, I guess.

I can confirm 1.52i, but if I put this in the final formula I get 0.75.
    Well, WolframAlpha does.

4. Aug 23, 2013 #3
    Thank you, yes it should be h^2, I've now corrected that. I guess I'll go through the figures again carefully :/

5. Aug 23, 2013 #4
    I've realised my stupid mistake. I copied down the identity incorrectly. A moments thought and I would have seen that [tex] sinh~iθ = i~sinh~θ [/tex] is nonsense :uhh: embarrassing

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted