1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadratic functions skipped in pre-calculus?

1. Aug 24, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I have a quick question regarding Calculus and what should be covered in pre-cal.

I'm currently in a pre-cal course and according to the syllabus it seems the teacher is skipping over quadratic functions. I only noticed because for the most part her course just follows along with the book but the quadratics were one of the few sections not covered.

Should I self study? Is there something special about quadratic functions that I need to know for Calc?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Make sure that you're able to find the roots of the quadratic function. The rest can safely be skipped as it will be covered in calculus anyway (and it will be covered better in calculus as you don't need to memorize silly formula's anymore).

4. Aug 24, 2011 #3
    ok!

there is a chapter covering zeroes of polynomials "of higher degree" which seems to be everything over 3rd order, I'm guessing she felt that would be enough. I suppose I should have trusted, eh?

I'm looking forward to forgetting that quadratic equation =)

5. Aug 24, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sadly, the quadratic equation is about the only one you can not forget :biggrin:

6. Aug 24, 2011 #5
    oops! good to know...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook