Quadratic functions skipped in pre-calculus?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about what should be covered in pre-calculus, specifically regarding quadratic functions. The speaker mentions that their teacher is skipping over quadratic functions, but suggests that it is not necessary to self-study as the topic will be covered in calculus. The conversation also mentions a chapter on zeroes of polynomials of higher degree and the speaker's desire to forget the quadratic equation. However, they are reminded that the quadratic equation is important to remember.
aross001
Hello,

I have a quick question regarding Calculus and what should be covered in pre-cal.

I'm currently in a pre-cal course and according to the syllabus it seems the teacher is skipping over quadratic functions. I only noticed because for the most part her course just follows along with the book but the quadratics were one of the few sections not covered.

Should I self study? Is there something special about quadratic functions that I need to know for Calc?

Physics news on Phys.org
Make sure that you're able to find the roots of the quadratic function. The rest can safely be skipped as it will be covered in calculus anyway (and it will be covered better in calculus as you don't need to memorize silly formula's anymore).

ok!

there is a chapter covering zeroes of polynomials "of higher degree" which seems to be everything over 3rd order, I'm guessing she felt that would be enough. I suppose I should have trusted, eh?

I'm looking forward to forgetting that quadratic equation =)

aross001 said:
ok!

there is a chapter covering zeroes of polynomials "of higher degree" which seems to be everything over 3rd order, I'm guessing she felt that would be enough. I suppose I should have trusted, eh?

I'm looking forward to forgetting that quadratic equation =)

Sadly, the quadratic equation is about the only one you can not forget :biggrin:

oops! good to know...

1. What is a quadratic function?

A quadratic function is a type of polynomial function where the highest degree of the variable is 2. It can be written in the form f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants. This type of function creates a parabola when graphed.

2. What is the purpose of learning about quadratic functions in pre-calculus?

Quadratic functions are a fundamental concept in mathematics and are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Understanding them in pre-calculus prepares students for more advanced topics in calculus and other higher-level math courses.

3. What are some real-life applications of quadratic functions?

Quadratic functions can be used to model various real-life situations, such as projectile motion, profit and cost analysis in business, and finding the maximum or minimum values in optimization problems. They are also used in graphing and analyzing data in science and social sciences.

4. How do you solve quadratic equations?

To solve a quadratic equation, you can use methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula. Factoring involves finding the factors of the quadratic expression and setting each factor equal to zero. Completing the square involves manipulating the equation to create a perfect square trinomial, and then solving for the variable. The quadratic formula is a formula that can be used to find the solutions of any quadratic equation.

5. Can you graph a quadratic function without solving for the x-intercepts?

Yes, you can graph a quadratic function without solving for the x-intercepts. The general shape of a quadratic function is a parabola, and you can plot points on the graph by choosing different x-values and calculating the corresponding y-values. However, finding the x-intercepts can give you more information about the function, such as the maximum or minimum values and the axis of symmetry.