Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quality Factor in damped oscillation

1. Apr 14, 2008 #1
    Working through my lecture summaries, I have been given that [tex] Q (the quality factor) =\frac{2\pi}{(\Delta E/E)cycle}[/tex]

and accepted this as a statement, taking [tex]\((\Delta E/E)cycle}[/tex] to mean the 'energy loss per cycle'.

The notes carry on to say

'The frequency [tex]\widetilde{\omega}[/tex] of under(damped) oscillator as function of the frequency [tex]\omega_{0}[/tex] and the Q factor:

[tex]\widetilde{\omega} = \omega_{0}\sqrt{1 - (\frac{b}{2m\omega_{0})^{2}}} = \omega_{0}\sqrt{1 - \frac{1}{4Q^{2}}[/tex]

My problem being that I cannot prove that [tex]\frac{b}{2m\omega_{0}} = \frac{1}{4Q^{2}} [/tex]

Knowing that [tex]E = E_{0}exp^{-bt/m}[/tex] i tried finding the energy loss per cycle by finding the difference between the energy at time t and the energy at time t + T (where T is the time period) but just ened up with an unhelpfull equation.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2008 #2
    any help would be much appreciated so i can get rid of this irritating missing link.
  4. Apr 14, 2008 #3
    ok - i appreciate that [tex]
    \((\Delta E/E)cycle}
    [/tex] means energy loss per cycle divided by energy stored - where energy stored would be [tex]
    E = E_{0}exp^{-bt/m}

but i still cannot prove it
  5. Apr 14, 2008 #4

i can tell you why, if [itex]Q>\sqrt{1/2}[/itex] that the peak resonant frequency is

[tex]\omega_{0}\sqrt{1 - \frac{1}{4Q^{2}}[/tex]

if [itex]\omega_0[/itex] the "natural" resonant frequency (i dunno what to call it) of the system. but i do not know what b and m are and can't tell from the context. is this a second order mechanical system or an electrical system?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?