Quantitative analysis -- manufacturing Furfural from bagasse

• Thread starter Gandhar NImkar
  • Start date

Gandhar NImkar

Hello everyone..

Here is the thing I am working on a project where I am manufacturing Furfural from bagasse. The reaction is thermodynamically possible. I took some amount of bagasse and added it to a reactor at atmospheric pressure. I then added diluted Sulphuric acid which acts as catalyst, NaCl ( to increase the selectivity of furfural) and indirectly heated the mixture to produce furfural vapours which later were cooled. Now my problem is i want to find out the percentage purity of furfural distillate and residue as both has furfural, H2So4, and water (in distillate) and furfural, H2So4, water and salt ( in residue). I approached many institutes which had gas chromatography but were not compatible. So I am planning to use quantitative analysis to find approximate amount of each component I searched many times on internet but was disappointed. So I thought you guys might help me out.

Thankyou in advance.

what about raman or ftir? what were the hang ups for gas chromatography (volatilizing, volatility, thermal stability, derivitization)? maybe NMR?

Gandhar NImkar

what about raman or ftir? what were the hang ups for gas chromatography (volatilizing, volatility, thermal stability, derivitization)? maybe NMR?
They said our product was corrosive as it was high in concentration as the mixture was distilled to get our product and they also needed a transparent pure furfural but the furfural we ordered for comparing our product with was 98% pure and was of dark brown color. So i was searching for quantitative analysis to find approximate percentage purity.