Quantizing the Klein-Gordon equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the Klein-Gordon equation for a spin-0 field and its real-valued solution as a combination of plane waves. The naive solution of summing over all possible momentum vectors is not Lorentz invariant, so a new solution is proposed that involves a normalizing factor. This can be derived either by performing a nontrivial contour integration or by examining the transformation properties of the 3D term. Both approaches result in a 3D integral with an energy term in the denominator.
Chopin
Hi all. I'm taking my first foray into QFT, and have a question which is hopefully pretty basic. I think I understand the concept itself, I just don't quite get how the math works out.

I'm right at the beginning, in the discussion of how to set up the creation/annihilation operators for a spin-0 field. The text starts with the Klein-Gordon equation:

[tex](\partial^2 + m^2)\varphi(\textbf{x}, t) = 0[/tex]

A real-valued solution to this equation is a combination of plane waves:

[tex]\varphi(\textbf{x}, t) = a\textit{e}^{\textit{i}\textbf{k}\cdot\textbf{x}-{\omega}t} + a^{*} \textit{e}^{-\textit{i}\textbf{k}\cdot\textbf{x}+{\omega}t}[/tex]

Where [tex]\omega = +\sqrt{\textbf{k}^2 + m^2}[/tex]. Next, we try to generalize this by summing over all possible momentum vectors. A naive solution would be this:

[tex]\varphi(\textbf{x}, t) = \int{d^3\textbf{k}\:a(\textbf{k})\textit{e}^{\textit{i}\textbf{k}\cdot\textbf{x}-{\omega}t} + a^{*}(\textbf{k})\textit{e}^{-\textit{i}\textbf{k}\cdot\textbf{x}+{\omega}t}}[/tex]

But this isn't Lorentz invariant. I think I get that--the Lorentz transform will change the size of the volume element, sort of like what happens when you take a volume integral in spherical coordinates. Is that correct?

To get around this, we do the following:

[tex]\varphi(\textbf{x}, t) = \int{\frac{d^3\textbf{k}}{(2\pi)^{3}2\omega}\: a(\textbf{k})\textit{e}^{\textit{i}\textbf{k}\cdot\textbf{x}-{\omega}t} + a^{*}(\textbf{k})\textit{e}^{-\textit{i}\textbf{k}\cdot\textbf{x}+{\omega}t}}[/tex]

That sort of makes sense--we're basically scaling down each plane wave by its corresponding energy, which rises in proportion to the volume element as we move up the momentum scale. I don't quite understand how to show mathematically that this ends up being Lorentz invariant, though. The text basically just handwaves it, so it's no help--can anyone explain how one could arrive at that normalizing factor if one were starting from scratch?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chopin said:
[tex](\partial^2 + m^2)\varphi(\textbf{x}, t) = 0[/tex]

A real-valued solution to this equation is a combination of plane waves:

[tex]\varphi(\textbf{x}, t) = a\textit{e}^{\textit{i}\textbf{k}\cdot\textbf{x}-{\omega}t} + a^{*} \textit{e}^{-\textit{i}\textbf{k}\cdot\textbf{x}+{\omega}t}[/tex]

Where [tex]\omega = +\sqrt{\textbf{k}^2 + m^2}[/tex]. Next, we try to generalize this by summing over all possible momentum vectors. A naive solution would be this:

[tex]\varphi(\textbf{x}, t) = \int{d^3\textbf{k}\:a(\textbf{k})\textit{e}^{\textit{i}\textbf{k}\cdot\textbf{x}-{\omega}t} + a^{*}(\textbf{k})\textit{e}^{-\textit{i}\textbf{k}\cdot\textbf{x}+{\omega}t}}[/tex]

But this isn't Lorentz invariant. [...]

Try thinking about:

[tex]
\varphi(x) ~=~ \int\! d^4k ~\Big( a(k) e^{ik\cdot x} + a^*(k) e^{-ik \cdot x} \Big)
\delta(k^2 - m^2)
[/tex]

where the nonbold k,x, etc are now 4-vectors. This expression is now more obviously
Lorentz-invariant, and the delta distribution constrains it to be a KG solution.
Now perform the t-integration. This is nontrivial contour integration so if you haven't
done it before, you'll need a textbook. One of Greiner's texts does it slowly, iirc, but
there's probably others. You'll end up with the 3D integral that has an energy term
in the denominator.

Another way to see Lorentz-invariance of the 3D term directly is to examine the
transformation properties of [itex]d^3{\textbf k}[/itex] . Peskin & Schroeder do this, iirc.

I posted the "physicist's derivation" of a delta function identity that can be used to evaluate the integral in strangerep's post here.

Ok, that clears things up a bit. The text I'm using (Srednicki) basically does the first approach, although I don't think it explains it all that well. It just says that this is because

[tex]\int{dx\:\delta(g(x))} = \sum_{i}\frac{1}{g'(x_i)}[/tex]

Where [tex]x_i[/tex] are the zeros of [tex]g(x)[/tex]. But it doesn't give any proof of this. Fredrik's derivation basically makes sense--it's just an integration by substitution, along with a little prayer that all of that stuff still works with distributions.

If I wanted to go the second route, and examine the transformation properties of [tex]d^3\textbf{k}[/tex], is it correct to just say that under a boost, [tex]d^3\textbf{k}[/tex] transforms by a factor of [tex]\gamma[/tex], so I just need to divide by something else which transforms by the same amount, like [tex]\omega[/tex]?

Last edited:
Chopin said:
[...]
If I wanted to go the second route, and examine the transformation properties of [tex]d^3\textbf{k}[/tex], is it correct to just say that under a boost, [tex]d^3\textbf{k}[/tex] transforms by a factor of [tex]\gamma[/tex], so I just need to divide by something else which transforms by the same amount, like [tex]\omega[/tex]?

Yes, that's the basic idea. A volume element gets divided by [itex]\gamma[/itex] in the
boosted frame due to Lorentz contraction, so this needs to be compensated somehow.

1. What is the Klein-Gordon equation?

The Klein-Gordon equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of spinless particles, such as scalar bosons, in quantum field theory. It was first proposed by physicist Oskar Klein and mathematician Walter Gordon in the 1920s.

2. Why do we need to quantize the Klein-Gordon equation?

Quantization is the process of turning a classical physical system into a quantum one, in order to describe the behavior of particles at the smallest scales. The Klein-Gordon equation needs to be quantized in order to accurately describe the behavior of spinless particles in the framework of quantum field theory.

3. What is the significance of quantizing the Klein-Gordon equation?

Quantizing the Klein-Gordon equation allows us to accurately describe the behavior of spinless particles at the quantum level, which is essential for understanding the fundamental laws of nature. It has also been used in the development of theories such as quantum electrodynamics and the Higgs mechanism.

4. What are the challenges in quantizing the Klein-Gordon equation?

The Klein-Gordon equation is a relativistic wave equation, which makes it more complicated to quantize compared to non-relativistic equations. It also requires the use of advanced mathematical techniques, such as functional integrals, which can be challenging to understand and apply.

5. How is the Klein-Gordon equation quantized?

The Klein-Gordon equation is typically quantized using a method called canonical quantization, which involves promoting the classical fields in the equation to quantum operators. This results in a quantum field theory that can describe the behavior of spinless particles at the quantum level.