Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Gravity School - March 2007

1. Dec 11, 2006 #1

Invited Lecturers: Jan Ambjorn, Abhay Ashtekar, Alain Connes*, Laurent Freidel, Shahn Majid, Martin Reuter, Hendryk Pfeiffer*, Jean-Marc Schlenker, Thomas Thiemann
    *-to be confirmed​
    Local organizer: Jerzy Lewandowski, Kirill Krasnov...

The school will be held within the framework of the new ESF research network Quantum Geometry and Quantum Gravity, coordinated by John Barrett
    see http://www.maths.nottingham.ac.uk/qg/ for further information about the network.

The aim of the school is to provide an up-to-date introduction to
    the main research topics of the network, namely: loop quantum gravity,
    spin foam models, dynamical triangulations, matrix models, and the
    application of non-commutative geometry and quantum groups to quantum
    gravity. There will be funds to cover the expenses of some
    participants (especially PhD students or junior researchers) from the
    member countries of the network.

:surprised I wait for more info :surprised
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2006 #2

Gold Member

Hmm Barret is doing good work.
  4. Dec 11, 2006 #3
    Will it be recorded for us on the internet?
    Anybody that knows online lectures on gravity on Internet?
    I think I saw a link to three movies one moth ago in a thread named something like "What is the nowadays accepted gravitational theory?" but didnt find it in the shearch function.
  5. Dec 11, 2006 #4
    online lectures

Introduction to quantum gravity by Lee Smolin
    more seminars at Perimiter Institut
    International Loop Quantum Gravity Seminar (slides&audio)
    Loops'05 Conference
    and more... would it be enough by now? well, I've only mentioned some quantum gravity lectures, and more precisely some non-perturbative/background independent quantum gravity lectures...
    Have I answered to your question?

ps: the tread you mentioned would be So what's the currently accepted gravity theory?
  6. Dec 11, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Francesca it sounds very exciting!

Arivero is right about John Barrett doing good work, in several ways.
    this QGQG research funding network seems exceptionally well-conceived

I see 9 lecturers, and they have 9 or more days. So they can let each lecturer give a series of talks. They have time to listen a lot to each

I will write down what I think are the specialties of each of the 9 lecturers in the school. It should be interesting to see what kind of mix Barrett and the QGQG and the organizers like Krasnov (who is at Nottingham with Barrett, I think) are putting together. I mean the MIX seems unusual to me. For each teacher in the school I will indicate a little where that person is and what kind of recent research---Francesca please correct me if I am wrong about any of them.

Jan Ambjorn, (Utrecht) CDT causal dynamical triangulations---co-author of many CDT papers with Renate Loll--computer simulations of simplicial QG

Abhay Ashtekar, (Penn State) LQG and especially lately LQC loop quantum cosmology, replacing cosm. singularity by big bounce--numerical (computer) work going back through the former singularity

Alain Connes*, (Paris) NCG, realizing the standard model geometrically (John Barrett posted the same result simultaneously)

Laurent Freidel, (Perimeter) Spinfoam, unifying Feynman diagrams with spinfoam, quantum groups, DSR deformed special relativity

Shahn Majid, (London) NCG, quantum groups, recently co-authored with Freidel joining spinfoam with NCG

Martin Reuter, (Mainz), QEG assymptotically safe "quantum Einstein gravity", curing the non-renormalizability of quantized conventional GR.

Hendryk Pfeiffer*, (Cambridge) mathematician, Differential Geometry and Topology

Jean-Marc Schlenker, (Toulouse) mathematician, Differential Geometry and Topology

Thomas Thiemann, (Albert Einstein Institute-Golm) master constraint version of LQG, also AQG (algebraic QG).
  7. Dec 11, 2006 #6

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Francesca, in that line-up of 9 teachers, I think it is only two (Laurent Freidel and Shahn Majid) who have been discussing prospects for near-term observational tests

Majid, in http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0604130 , just said flat out that GRB as observed by some mission like GLAST would afford a chance to test NCG.

Do you know of any of the others being interested particular ideas for testing?

The Majid quote is on page 2 of that paper.

Majid: "...for a model of noncommutative 4D spacetime. Note that although (1)
    breaks usual Poincaré invariance, Special Relativity still holds as the quantum
    group ‘symmetry’. This is also the first noncommutative spacetime
    model with a genuine physical prediction
    [1], namely a variable speed of
    light (VSL). The NASA GLAST satellite to be launched in 2007 may among
    other things be able to test this prediction through a statistical analysis of
    gamma-ray bursts even in the worst case that we might expect for the parameter
    lambda approx. 10^−44 s ( the Planck timescale). Note that the model should not
    be confused with an earlier kappa-Poincaré group model[8] where..."
  8. Dec 12, 2006 #7
    Yes, thank you very much.
  9. Dec 12, 2006 #8
    Very, very, very interesting school!

It's unfortunate, I cannot go. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

10. Dec 12, 2006 #9
    This school seems to me more devoted to formal developments than to their relationship with esperiments: maybe they see it as a subsequent step for the student...
    well, to tell the true I don't mind it...

for Christine: thank you for the nice introduction to each listed speaker!
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  11. Dec 12, 2006 #10
    Hi Francesca,

No, that was Marcus' work!

Thanks anyway for providing the link to the school!

12. Dec 12, 2006 #11
    Sorry Marcus and thank you! I red too fast :blushing:
    well, in any case thanks to Christine who corrected me...
  13. Dec 12, 2006 #12
    Does anyone know if meetings like this establish a standard for Language used for presentations and discussions?
    Do they allow that to be dictated by the presenter of each topic, and for those that need it, how do they manage translations in a live environment?

added - Just wanted to confirm what is only a guess on my part that English may be the spoken language standard. And to advance in science most must at least have English as a second launguage. (Thanks Marcus)
  14. Dec 12, 2006 #13
    Galileo said that Nature book is written in the mathematical language...
    sorry, I'm joking, that's to say that I find the spekers set quite homogeneous because they are all math-minded. Well, the school wants to present different approach even if they haven't achieved a common language, otherwise we eventually have the quantum gravity theory :rolleyes:
    Dear Randall, you put a proper question, different languages for the same thing are a bit disorienting, expecially for a student... what a mess!

I'm wondering about the level of the school... they wrote it's addressed for graduate students, but...
  15. Dec 12, 2006 #14

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

I am guessing that Randall is asking about spoken language like English French Portuguese Italian German. Maybe he is talking about mathematics and technical definitions of terminology. But I don't think so.

we are into a era of more mobility like in Renaissance when scholars could travel all over Europe---they all would read and write the same language Latin.

You can see the video of all the presentations given at the Loops '05 conference (the largest Quantum Gravity conference so far). All the talks are in English although there are very few US people and not all that many from the UK. That conference was near Berlin at the Albert Einstein Institute in Golm.
    It is the usual international conference language in continental Europe. Also to some extent even for lectures, seminars, colloquium talks. So a student from some other country (Spain, Germany, Brazil, UK, Italy) can go to Utrecht in Holland and give seminar talks and study there without having to know Dutch!

This is good for scholarship.
  16. Dec 17, 2006 #15

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

The list of lecturers to be at the school has changed slightly. for example Etera Livine (who wrote a review paper on COVARIANT LQG recently) will be lecturing and Hendryk Pfeiffer will not be. here is the updated list:

Jan Ambjorn
    Abhay Ashtekar
    Alain Connes*
    Laurent Freidel
    Etera Livine
    Shahn Majid
    Martin Reuter
    Jean-Marc Schlenker
    Thomas Thiemann
    Ruth Williams*

* - to be confirmed

many people know the research these people do as well or better than I, so they don't need the list annotated, but I will give some guesses about what these people might talk about

Jan Ambjorn---causal dynamical triangulation (CDT: one of several simplicial QG approaches)
    Abhay Ashtekar----(loop) quantum cosmology---the deterministic evolution that replaces the bang singularity
    Alain Connes*----obtaining the standard model from non-commutative geometry (NCG)
    Laurent Freidel----obtaining Feynman diagrams of usual QFT from spinfoam, the emergence of matter from QG.
    Etera Livine----covariant loop quantum gravity (CLQG)
    Shahn Majid----NCG---possible connection to DSR and GLAST testability.
    Martin Reuter----quantum Einstein gravity (QEG)---showing quantized general relativity to be assymptotically safe
    Jean-Marc Schlenker---differential geometry and topology (application?)
    Thomas Thiemann----algebraic quantum gravity (AQG) and/or the master constraint program
    Ruth Williams*----simplicial QG

* - to be confirmed

for more information:
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
  17. Dec 18, 2006 #16

Great, isn't it? ;)
  18. Dec 18, 2006 #17
    Yes, it is :tongue2:

Are you going to come? and your colleagues from Marseille?
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  19. Dec 18, 2006 #18

I fully intend to, but I'm actually in Nottingham now, so I don't know who from Marseille is coming...
    Will you be there? Are you studying QG?
  20. Dec 18, 2006 #19
    I worry about the level of lectures...
    I'm going to start my (master) thesis in QG next year, maybe starting from the Fall, so...
    I fully hope to come too, but maybe it's better if I ask before to my advisors...
  21. Dec 18, 2006 #20

In that case it might be below the expected level:

"Please note, that if you are a Ph.D. student or a junior researcher we will also need a recommendation letter from a senior scientist. It should be send in PostScript or PDF format at e-mail address QGQG1 @ fuw.edu.pl."

Either way I'd definately try for it, even if you don't learn that much, in my experience challenging yourself is always a good idea.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?