Quantum harmonic oscillator in electric field

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the probability that a particle's energy, calculated in an external electric field, will be in a specific state. The problem involves a harmonic oscillator with charge q and an external electric field E in the same direction as the oscillator's. The solution requires solving Schrödinger's equation and finding the energy eigenvalue, but the individual is unsure of how to find the probability without having the state vectors. They are asked to try figuring it out on their own, as that is the best way to learn.
mbijei

Homework Statement

There is a harmonic oscillator with charge q and sudenly we turn on external electric field E, which direction is the same as oscillator's. We need to find probability, that particles energy calculated in electric field will be in m state.
n=1, m=2

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've solved Schrödinger's equation for harmonic oscillator in electric field and found needed energy eigenvalue, but I don't know how to find probability.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you usually calculate probabilities in quantum mechanics? In other words, if the particle is in state ##\lvert \psi \rangle## and you want to know the probability you'll find it in state ##\lvert \phi \rangle##, what do you do?

That's the point, I don't have state vectors ∣ψ⟩ and ∣ϕ⟩. I only have Hamiltonian and energy eigenvalue.

You said you solved the Schrodinger equation. How can you not have the state vectors?

Could someone PLEASE explain this solution step by step? I have this very same problem (except both n and m are equal to 1) and i can't find any examples how to solve this kind of problems anywhere..

No, that's not how it works here. We don't provide solutions. You need to try figure it out. That's how you learn.

Well I've been trying since yesterday and I'm pretty frustrated by now. I've searched everywhere for at least one example on how to solve this kind of problem and found nothing. I'm probably not the brightest kid and i seem to be unable to figure it all out just by myself..

1. What is a quantum harmonic oscillator in electric field?

A quantum harmonic oscillator in electric field is a theoretical model that describes the behavior of a particle in a harmonic potential (such as a spring) under the influence of an electric field. It is often used to study the quantum mechanical properties of atoms and molecules.

2. How does the electric field affect the quantum harmonic oscillator?

The electric field affects the quantum harmonic oscillator by changing the potential energy of the particle. This results in a displacement of the equilibrium position and a change in the energy levels of the system.

3. What is the significance of the quantum harmonic oscillator in electric field?

The quantum harmonic oscillator in electric field is a fundamental model in quantum mechanics and is used to understand the behavior of particles in various physical systems. It helps to explain phenomena such as molecular vibrations and the quantization of energy levels in atoms.

4. How is the quantum harmonic oscillator in electric field solved?

The quantum harmonic oscillator in electric field is typically solved using mathematical techniques, such as the Schrödinger equation and the ladder operator method. These methods allow for the determination of the energy eigenvalues and corresponding wavefunctions for the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of the quantum harmonic oscillator in electric field?

The quantum harmonic oscillator in electric field has various applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used in the design of electronic devices, such as transistors and lasers, and in the study of molecular dynamics and spectroscopy. It also plays a crucial role in the development of quantum computing and quantum technologies.