1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Quantum Mechanics Math Course

1. Oct 24, 2016 #1
    Sorry I keep posting about this. I had settled on Probability (Probability in discrete and continuous sample spaces; conditional probability; counting techniques; probability functions; binomial, Poisson, normal distributions; and transformations of variables.) based off of previous answers to posts on here, but my differential equations professor this semester just told the class today and sent us an email about a directed study class he is running on advanced differential equations next semester. The description is "A focus on boundary value problems with topics such as the Shooting Method, Green's Functions, Sturm-Liouville Problems, and the Contraction Mapping Theorem. Phase portraits with an emphasis on limit cycles will be explored." It sounds really interesting and I have heard references to Green's Functions and Sturm-Liouville equations when reading about quantum mechanics, so I was wondering whether anyone had any advice on whether Probability is more useful for quantum mechanics or the advanced differential equations course? (I only have room for one of the courses next semester otherwise I would take both.) Thank you so very much for any advice!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

In my opinion the course about differential equations is of greater use. The step from a position of a firm knowledge about analysis towards probability theory is far smaller than the other way around.

4. Oct 25, 2016 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Definitely differential equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted