1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics Question 1-D Well

1. Mar 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Light of various wavelengths is shined on a collection of "quantum wires" all of the same length. Each 'wire' consists of an electron trapped in a carbon nanotube, which we approximate as a 1-D infinite potential well of a width equal to the length of the wire.

It is observed that the longest wavelength that is absorbed by the collection of wires (corresponding to an electronic excitation in each wire), is 0.44 mm. What is the length of each wire?

2. Relevant equations

En = (h^2/(8mL^2))n^2
    E = hc/lamda

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so I actually know the answer to this question. It is 20 nanometers. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, though. Here is what I did:

First calculate the energy being absorbed:

E = hc/lamda = 1240 / (.44*10^6) = .0028182

Then I use that to find L, the length of the wire (width of the potential well):

E1 = (h^2/(8mL^2))1^2
    L^2 = (1.505/(4*.0028182))
    L = (1.505/(4*.0028182))^.5 = 11.555 nm

The answer should be 20 nm, where and how did I go wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2009 #2
    Did I post this in the wrong forum? I see a lot of quantum mechanics in the advanced physics forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook