Quantum mechanics probability detection

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of detection for an electron in a one-dimensional infinite well of length 200 pm, with an electron-detector probe of width 50 pm positioned within the well. The question is whether the width of 50 pm is small enough to be considered a constant or if the formula for probability needs to be integrated. It is determined that the width is small enough and the integral is solved using the identity sin^2x = 1/2(1-cos2x). The final integral is 1/200*[1/2*x|75 to 125 - (100/6pi)*sin(3pix/100)|75 to 125].
hvthvt

Homework Statement

A one-dimensional infinite well of length 200 pm contains an electron in its third excited state. We
position an electron-detector probe of width 50 pm so that it is centered within the well. (a) What is the probability of detection by the probe? (b) If we insert the probe as described 1000 times, how many times should we expect the electron to materialize on the end of the probe (and thus be detected)?

My question is: since the width is 50 pm, the interval is 50 pm, which is "relatively big". (E.g. 2.0pm would be small)
Should I integrate the formula which is given for probability OR is 50 pm small enough to see it as constant? Meaning that the probability would be 20% ?

Homework Equations

p=ψ2dx

The Attempt at a Solution

(√2/L * sin(xnπ/L))2 dx

Physics news on Phys.org
Its you who decides 50pm is small enough or not because it depends on the accuracy that you want!

Oh really, haha :) I guess that my answer would be wrong on the test if I would not integrate

hvthvt said:
Oh really, haha :) I guess that my answer would be wrong on the test if I would not integrate

Ohhh...looks like I should correct myself.Its your professor who decieds 50pm is small enough or not.And if he thought so,he would write it in the question.So yeah,you should integrate!

So how should I integrate this?
What are the limits? 75 and 125? because 50 is in the center of the 200.
So∫2/L*sin(3∏/200pm*x) integrating from 7 to 125. How should I work this out?
I should take y=3pix/L ??

The integral is:
[itex] \frac{2}{200}\int_{75}^{125} \sin^2{(\frac{3 \pi x}{200})} dx=\frac{1}{100}\int_{75}^{125}\frac{1-\cos{(\frac{3\pi x}{100})}}{2}dx=\frac{1}{200}[\frac{1}{2}x|_{75}^{125}-\frac{100}{6 \pi}\sin{(\frac{3\pi x}{100})}|_{75}^{125}][/itex]
Where I have used the identity [itex] \sin^2{x}=\frac{1}{2}(1-\cos{2x}) [/itex]

Ooooh.. That works well. Thank you very much !

1. What is quantum mechanics probability detection?

Quantum mechanics probability detection is a branch of quantum mechanics that deals with the detection and measurement of the probabilities of different outcomes in quantum systems. It is based on the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, which state that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously and their behavior can only be described probabilistically.

2. How does quantum mechanics probability detection work?

Quantum mechanics probability detection works by using mathematical equations, such as the Schrödinger equation, to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes in a quantum system. These probabilities are then compared to experimental results to determine the accuracy of the predictions made by the equations.

3. What is the role of probability in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, probability plays a crucial role in describing the behavior of particles and systems. It is used to calculate the likelihood of a particle being in a certain state or having a certain property. The probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics reflects the inherent uncertainty and randomness at the quantum level.

4. Can quantum mechanics probability detection be proven?

Quantum mechanics probability detection is a well-established and extensively tested theory. While it cannot be proven in the traditional sense, as it is based on mathematical models and probabilistic outcomes, its predictions have been verified through numerous experiments and applications in various fields of science and technology.

5. How is quantum mechanics probability detection applied in real life?

Quantum mechanics probability detection has many practical applications, including in the development of quantum computers, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensors. It is also used in fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science to understand the behavior of particles and systems at the quantum level and to make accurate predictions about their properties and reactions.