What Colors of Light Are Absorbed by Electrons in a 3.1 nm Infinite Well?

In summary, the problem involves determining the colors of visible light that would be absorbed by electrons in an infinite well with a size of N = 3.1 nm. The effective mass for an electron in GaAs is one-fifteenth of the standard electron mass. The relevant equations are En = πh2/[2*N2*me/15]*n2, L = nλ/2, and Ψ = √(2/L)sin(nπx/L). The attempt at a solution yielded an equation of En = 5.4624*10-27*n2, but the units did not appear to be correct and the wavelength could not be determined. The suggested approach is to calculate E(n) = E
GummyLizard

Homework Statement

Determine what colors of visible light would be absorbed by electrons in an infinite well, N = 3.1 nm. The effective mass for an electron in GaAs is one-fifteenth of the standard electron mass.

Homework Equations

En = πh2/[2*N2*me/15]*n2

L = nλ/2

Ψ = √(2/L)sin(nπx/L)

The Attempt at a Solution

En = 5.4624*10-27*n2 ...but the units do not look correct, and I don't know how to go about the rest of the problem. I thought it had something to do with eventually finding the wavelength.

Physics news on Phys.org
GummyLizard said:
.but the units do not look correct, and I don't know how to go about the rest of the problem. I thought it had something to do with eventually finding the wavelength.

check your calculation and putting up the values you get E(n) = E(0) . n^2
i think you have to search for the visible range absorption trying from n=1 to n2 value which yields say yellow wavelength photon energy. then if n2 comes out to be whole number one can think of quantum absorption;

1. What is an infinite potential well?

An infinite potential well is a theoretical concept in quantum mechanics that represents a potential energy barrier in which a particle can exist. It is often used as a simple model to study the behavior of quantum particles.

2. How does the infinite potential well work?

The infinite potential well is a one-dimensional box with infinitely high potential barriers at the edges. This means that particles can only exist within the boundaries of the box and cannot escape. The behavior of particles within the box is described by the Schrödinger equation, which determines the allowed energy levels and wave functions.

3. What is the significance of the infinite potential well in quantum mechanics?

The infinite potential well serves as an important tool for understanding the behavior of quantum particles. It allows for the calculation of energy levels and wave functions, which can then be applied to more complex systems. It also helps to illustrate fundamental concepts such as quantization and the uncertainty principle.

4. Can the infinite potential well be applied to real-world systems?

No, the infinite potential well is a simplified model and cannot be directly applied to real-world systems. However, it serves as a useful starting point for understanding more complex systems and can provide insights into the behavior of quantum particles in confined spaces.

5. What are some limitations of the infinite potential well model?

The infinite potential well model assumes that the potential barrier is infinitely high, which is not possible in reality. It also only considers one-dimensional systems and does not account for interactions between particles. Additionally, it does not take into account relativistic effects, making it limited in its applicability to certain scenarios.