Quantum mechanics scattering problem

In summary: If you differentiate the equation for x>0 only you get:\phi(x)=Ce^{iK_{2}X}+De^{-iK{_2}X} which when differentiated again gives:\phi(x)=Ce^{iK_{2}X}+De^{-iK{_2}X} which is the same as the equation for x<0.Thanks, again, for your help.In summary, the author is trying to solve a Schrodinger equation for a particle that is moving in two directions, and is having to deal with reflections and transmission. They seem to have gotten to a point where they are confused,
Vuldoraq
Quantum mechanics scattering problem, Please help!

Homework Statement

Calculate the reflection and transmission probabilities for right-incident scattering from the potential
V(x) = V0 for x<0
V(x)= 0 for x>0.
at an energy E <V0. Find the probability density and the probability current density in the region x<0.
What can you say about where the reflection is taking place?

Homework Equations

Stationary Scrodinger Equation,

[tex]E\psi(x)=-\frac{h^{2}}{8\pi^{2}m}*\frac{\partial^{2}\psi}{\partial\psi^{2}}[/tex]

Probability density,

[tex]\rho(x)=\bar{\psi}\psi[/tex]

Probability current density,

[tex]J_{x}=\frac{ih}{2\pi\m}(\psi\frac{\partial\bar{\psi}}{\partial x}-\bar{\psi}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x})[/tex]

Transmission probability, [tex]T=\frac{J_{trans}}{J_{incident}}[/tex]

Reflection probabilty, [tex]R=\frac{J_{reflected}}{J_{incident}}[/tex]

Also T+R=1

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, I have gone some way with this problem and I won't inculde all my calculations (although if you want to see them please just ask and I will post them). Let's start with my solutions to the schrodinger equation in both regions,

[tex]\phi(x)=Be^{-K_{1}X}[/tex] for x<0.

[tex]\phi(x)=Ce^{iK_{2}X}+De^{-iK{_2}X}[/tex] for x>0

where,
[tex]k_{1}=\frac{\sqrt{-2m(E-V_{0})}}{\frac{h}{2\pi}}[/tex]

and,
[tex]k_{2}=\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\frac{h}{2\pi}}[/tex]

Now I have that the wave with the B coefecient is the transmitted wave moving to the left and the wave with the C coefficient is the reflected wave moving to the right. The wave with the D coefficient is the right incident wave and is moving to the left.

Now if I calculate the probability current density for the transmitted wave I get zero, since the wave function is real. This means that the refelction probability must be 1. However this implies that no quantume tunneling can occur, which shouldn't be the case. Also it seems way too easy.

Please could someone check through my working and see where I have gone wrong? I have been pondering for ages but can't see the gap in my logic.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please could someone help me? I am really stuck on this one and cannot see where I have gone wrong.

Thanks

Hi,

Firstly, your phi(x) for x<0 should have a i on the exponential.

This should change your values for the probability and probability density

Hi TFM,

Thankyou for replying I really appreciate it. Please could you explain why there should be an i on the exponential? Because if there is on that one surely there should be on the other term which we have disregarded, and if the other term has an i it's second differential will be negative, when it should be positive?

Thanks again!

Well I have:

[tex] k\phi(x) = \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial x^2} [/tex]

[tex] \phi (x)= Ae^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx} [/tex]

TFM said:
Well I have:

[tex] k\phi(x) = \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial x^2} [/tex]

[tex] \phi (x)= Ae^{ikx} + Be^{-ikx} [/tex]

If you differentiate the above twice you get -k^2 *A or B*phi(x). Thats why I'm confused.

What is quantum mechanics scattering problem?

Quantum mechanics scattering problem refers to the mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of particles when they interact with each other or with external forces. It involves calculating the probability of a particle being scattered in a particular direction after a collision, taking into account the wave nature of particles and the uncertainty principle.

What are the key principles of quantum mechanics scattering problem?

The key principles of quantum mechanics scattering problem include the wave-particle duality of particles, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, and the concept of superposition. These principles help to explain the probabilistic nature of particle interactions and the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

What is the role of scattering amplitudes in quantum mechanics scattering problem?

Scattering amplitudes are complex numbers that represent the probability amplitude of a particle being scattered in a particular direction. They are calculated using mathematical equations based on the principles of quantum mechanics and are essential for predicting the behavior of particles in a scattering event.

How does quantum mechanics scattering problem relate to real-life phenomena?

Quantum mechanics scattering problem is crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of particles in various real-life phenomena, such as nuclear reactions, quantum tunneling, and particle collisions in accelerators. It is also used in fields such as quantum chemistry and solid-state physics to study the behavior of atoms and molecules.

What are some current challenges and open questions in quantum mechanics scattering problem?

Some current challenges in quantum mechanics scattering problem include developing a unified theory that can explain both quantum mechanics and general relativity, and understanding the role of gravity in particle interactions. There are also open questions about the role of measurement and observation in the scattering process and the implications of quantum mechanics for our understanding of reality.