Solve Scattering Problem: Find Wall Thickness for Half Incident Particles

• Thread starter Anro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scattering
In summary, in order to scatter particles without them going through a wall of a specific thickness, half the particles must reach the other side without scattering.
Anro

Homework Statement

A beam of particles strikes a wall containing 2 × 10^29 atoms/m^3. Each atom behaves as a hard sphere of radius 3 × 10^–15 m.

Find the thickness of the wall such that exactly half the incident particles go through without scattering.

Homework Equations

N(sc) = N(inc) × n(tar) × σ ---> (1)
N(sc) = the number of scattered particles
N(inc) = the number of incident particles
n(tar) = the target density
σ = cross sectional area of the target = πR^2
n(tar) = ρt/m ---> (2)
ρ = density
t = thickness of the wall
m = mass

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello everyone; this is a straightforward scattering problem but I seem to be missing something here. This is what I did so far:
From the given information I have:
N(sc) = ½ N(inc) ---> 2N(sc) = N(inc)
R = 3 × 10^–15 m ---> σ = πR^2 = 9π × 10^–30 m^2
Plugging these values in equation (1), I can get the value of n(tar) which turned out to be 1.77 × 10^28 m^–2
Having this value of n(tar), I can substitute into equation (2) and solve for t. This is where I’m stuck, as I’m supposed to find numerical values for ρ and m in order for me to find t. These values can be obtained from the given information that the wall contains 2 × 10^29 atoms/m^3, and I think that I can get my values for ρ and m from the following equation:
The number of atoms per unit volume = (Avogadro’s number × density)/atomic mass
That is: 2 × 10^29 atoms/m^3 = (6.022 × 10^23 mol^–1 × density)/atomic mass
This is where I’m not sure how to proceed, as I need to find the density and atomic mass (and convert it to kg as well) from this equation; any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Be careful here.

We know that the macroscopic cross-section, Σ, for an interaction is given by Σ = nσ, where n is the atomic density and σ is the microscopic cross section.

So Σs = nσs.

Now we also know that N(x) = No exp (-Σs x), where x is the distance traveled, and No is the initial particle intensity (we could use I(x) and Io).

All we need to do is find the distance (thickness) t at which half of the particles reach without scattering, and so they leave the other side (of slab thickness t), without having scattered.

So what is N(t)/No?

Now it makes sense using your equations; still straightforward, but different way of looking at things. Thank you very much for your help Astronuc, I really appreciate it.

What is a scattering problem?

A scattering problem is a type of problem in physics where the behavior of particles or waves as they interact with an obstacle or potential barrier is studied. In the context of finding wall thickness for half incident particles, the scattering problem involves determining the thickness of a wall that will allow half of the incident particles to pass through while the other half are scattered or reflected.

Why is it important to solve scattering problems?

Solving scattering problems is important in many areas of science and engineering, such as in particle physics, nuclear physics, and material science. It allows us to understand and predict the behavior of particles and waves as they interact with various materials and barriers, which is crucial for designing and optimizing various devices and technologies.

What factors affect the scattering of particles?

The scattering of particles is affected by several factors, including the energy and momentum of the incident particles, the shape and thickness of the barrier, and the properties of the material that makes up the barrier. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other particles can also play a role in scattering behavior.

How is the wall thickness for half incident particles determined?

The wall thickness for half incident particles is determined through mathematical calculations and simulations. This involves using equations and models that describe the scattering behavior of particles, as well as taking into account the specific properties of the particles and the barrier. In some cases, experimental data may also be used to validate the results.

What are some practical applications of solving scattering problems?

Solving scattering problems has many practical applications, such as in the development of medical imaging techniques, the design of nuclear reactors, and the improvement of materials used in various industries. It also has implications in fields such as astrophysics, where the scattering of particles can provide insights into the composition and behavior of celestial objects.