"Modern Quantum Mechanics" by Sakurai for First Encounter

In summary, it seems that using Sakurai as a first introduction to quantum mechanics might be a good idea, but supplemental texts are needed to deepen understanding of the theory.
bacte2013
Dear friends,

Can "Modern Quantum Mechanics" by Sakurai be used as a first introduction to the quantum mechanics, given that I have a professor who can guide my reading and supplementary books? I recently got an opportunity for a reading course in rigorous QM, and I thought Sakurai would be a good book; my mentor let me choose my own book. I can devote 8hrs/week. If Sakurai can be used as a first introduction to acquire reasonable understanding of QM, what books make a good supplement to Sakurai?

I know single-variable analysis, axiomatic set theory, abstract linear algebra, set-theoretic topology, and modern algebra.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you should ask your professor this.

The preface says "This book is intended for a first year graduate student who has studied quantum mechanics at the junior or senior level. It does not provide an introduction to quantum mechanics for the beginner..."

I'd say no, use another text for your intro to QM theory...

Sakurai's text is too abstract and high level for a first exposure to the subject. You need another reading before that which emphasizes the motivation behind QM. I like very much the book on QM by Bransden and Joachain. This is intended as preparation for an atomic/molecular physics course (published by them in a different textbook), so the abstraction level is quite low.

I have the same understanding of the preface quoted by Dr transport. I would prefer Shankar's text to Sakurai. It is just as advanced, although it starts slower and is longer. It also treats barriers, particle in a box, which Sakurai skips, because he expects the students have seen it before.

You can even use a graduate course textbook like Merzbacher, or Messiah.
At an intermediate level, Merzbacher is a challenge but can be used.
I remember as a graduate (pre-sakurai; pre shankar), I used a combination of Schiff, Merzbacher, Messiah, and Powell and Craseman, looking for the best treatment of the topics. I do think it is better to use mostly one textbook.

Likes Frimus

1. What is the main focus of "Modern Quantum Mechanics" by Sakurai?

The main focus of "Modern Quantum Mechanics" by Sakurai is to introduce the fundamental concepts and mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics, and to provide a deeper understanding of the theory through its applications in various fields of physics.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners or is it more advanced?

This book is more suitable for advanced readers who already have a basic understanding of quantum mechanics. It is not recommended for beginners as it assumes prior knowledge of quantum mechanics and mathematical concepts.

3. What sets this book apart from other textbooks on quantum mechanics?

One of the main features that sets "Modern Quantum Mechanics" apart from other textbooks is its emphasis on the mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics. It also includes a large number of worked examples and exercises to help readers understand and apply the concepts.

4. Can this book be used as a reference for researchers in the field of quantum mechanics?

Yes, this book can be used as a reference for researchers in the field of quantum mechanics. It covers a wide range of topics and provides a comprehensive and in-depth treatment of the subject.

5. Are there any prerequisites for reading this book?

Yes, some prerequisites for reading "Modern Quantum Mechanics" include a solid understanding of classical mechanics, linear algebra, and differential equations. It is also helpful to have some knowledge of special relativity and basic quantum mechanics concepts.