Quantum mechanicss after electrical and electronics engineering?

In summary, the person is interested in physics but their area doesn't have a good college for it, so they are considering studying electrical and electronics engineering. They are seeking advice on whether they can pursue particle physics or quantum mechanics at a US university after completing their engineering degree. The response suggests looking into applied math or applied physics degrees for a wider range of post-grad options. The person giving the advice has a degree in applied math and was able to learn quantum mechanics without a physics degree.
sagarbhathwar
Hi. I am very much interested in physics but my locality lacks good college for undergraduate physics but has good engineering colleges. I was thinking of taking up electrical and electronics engineering hoping that it is related to physics. I need advice if I can take up particle physics or quantum mechanics at post graduation level in a US university and become a researcher after doing four year engineering course in electrical and electronics.
Thank you
Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously I can't speak to all the universities out there, but our local university would admit you to a Masters in physics with an Engineering degree - the main thing is to have the requisite math behind you.

Many good engineering colleges have applied math or applied physics degrees that would be a better choice for that purpose than electronics.

I would do applied math which would give you a very wide choice post-grad - not just physics and QM but mathematical economics, statistics etc etc.

I actually don't have a physics degree, but a degree in applied math and I picked up QM just fine.

Thanks
Bill

1. What is the difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles.

2. How does quantum mechanics relate to electrical and electronics engineering?

Quantum mechanics is the foundation of modern electronics, as it explains the behavior of electrons in semiconductors and how they create the basis for electronic devices.

3. Can quantum mechanics be applied to other fields besides electrical and electronics engineering?

Yes, quantum mechanics has applications in many fields such as chemistry, material science, and even biology, as it helps us understand the behavior of atoms and molecules.

4. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics in electrical and electronics engineering?

Some examples include transistors, lasers, and superconductors, all of which rely on the principles of quantum mechanics for their functionality.

5. Are there any practical limitations to the application of quantum mechanics in engineering?

Yes, there are still some challenges in harnessing the full potential of quantum mechanics in engineering, such as controlling and manipulating quantum systems on a large scale. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology are helping to overcome these limitations.