Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum mechanicss after electrical and electronics engineering?

1. Jun 5, 2014 #1
    Hi. I am very much interested in physics but my locality lacks good college for undergraduate physics but has good engineering colleges. I was thinking of taking up electrical and electronics engineering hoping that it is related to physics. I need advice if I can take up particle physics or quantum mechanics at post graduation level in a US university and become a researcher after doing four year engineering course in electrical and electronics.
    Thank you
    Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2014 #2

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Obviously I cant speak to all the universities out there, but our local university would admit you to a Masters in physics with an Engineering degree - the main thing is to have the requisite math behind you.

Many good engineering colleges have applied math or applied physics degrees that would be a better choice for that purpose than electronics.

I would do applied math which would give you a very wide choice post-grad - not just physics and QM but mathematical economics, statistics etc etc.

I actually don't have a physics degree, but a degree in applied math and I picked up QM just fine.

Thanks
    Bill

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook