Quantum numbers of Landau levels

In summary, Landau levels for a two-dimensional system of charged particles in a perpendicular magnetic field exhibit degeneracy due to the definition of momentum in the presence of a magnetic field. The system can be described using two sets of creation and annihilation operators and the energy of the state only depends on one quantum number. This is easier to solve in a gauge where the magnetic field only depends on one spatial component, leading to an effective one-dimensional harmonic-oscillator energy-eigenvalue problem. The energy eigenvalues are gauge invariant and the wave function transforms accordingly.
spaghetti3451
I have been reading about Landau levels for a two-dimensional system of charged particles in a perpendicular magnetic field and I have trouble understanding why there is degeneracy in the system. Let me provide some background to my problem.
In the presence of a magnetic field, the momentum of a charge particle changes from ##p_{i}## to ##\pi_{i}\equiv p_{i}+eA_{i}##, where ##e## is the charge of the particle.

It is also possible to define another kind of momentum ##\tilde{\pi}_{i}=p_{i}-eA_{i}##.For a two-dimensional system with a magnetic field pointing in the ##z##-direction, we can work in the symmetric gauge

$${\bf{A}}=\left(-\frac{yB}{2},\frac{xB}{2},0\right),$$

and define two sets of creation and annihilation operators ##a, a^{\dagger}## and ##b, b^{\dagger}## such that a generic state of the system is given by

$$|n,m\rangle=\frac{a^{\dagger n}b^{\dagger}n}{\sqrt{n!m!}}|0,0\rangle,$$

where ##|0,0\rangle## is the unique ground state annihilated by both ##a## and ##b##.
Now, ##|0,0\rangle## is the unique ground state annihilated by both ##a## and ##b## since ##\pi_{i}## and ##\tilde{\pi}_{i}## commute in the complex plane defined by ##(z=x-iy,\bar{z}=x+iy)## and commuting observables have a common basis of eigenfunctions.

Does this not mean that the quantum numbers labelled by ##n## and ##m## give the same wavefunctions?

Why does the energy of the state depend only on ##n##, but not on ##m##?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's much easier to solve the energy-eigen problem in the gauge, where ##\vec{A}## depends only on one spatial component, e.g.,
$$\vec{A}=-By \vec{e}_x,$$
because of the higher symmetry of the corresponding Hamiltonian. In this gauge the Hamiltonian reads
$$\hat{H}=\frac{1}{2m} [(-\mathrm{i} \partial_x+q By)^2-\partial_y^2-\partial_z^2],$$
i.e., you can seek for common eigenvectors of ##\hat{p}_x##, ##\hat{p}_z## and ##\hat{H}##. This leads to the ansatz
$$u_{E,p_x,p_z}(\vec{x})=C \exp(\mathrm{i} p_x x+\mathrm{i} p_y y) Y(y),$$
leading to an effective one-dimennsional harmonic-oscillator energy-eigenvalue problem for ##Y(y)##.

Of course, the energy eigenvalues are gauge invariant, and the wave function transforms with ##\psi'(t,\vec{x})=\exp[\pm \mathrm{i} q\chi(\vec{x})] \psi(t,\vec{x})## while ##\vec{A}'=\vec{A} + \vec{\nabla} \chi##. I'm a bit unsure about the sign in the phase factor. Just figure it out by direct calculation. :wink:

• Wow
Likes Robert Ye and atyy

1. What are quantum numbers of Landau levels?

Quantum numbers of Landau levels refer to the set of numbers that describe the energy levels of an electron in a magnetic field, according to the Landau quantization theory. These numbers are used to describe the behavior of electrons in a two-dimensional system, such as a thin film or a semiconductor.

2. What are the three quantum numbers of Landau levels?

The three quantum numbers of Landau levels are the principal quantum number (n), the azimuthal quantum number (m), and the magnetic quantum number (mz). These numbers determine the energy, angular momentum, and orientation of the electron's motion in a magnetic field.

3. How do quantum numbers of Landau levels affect the electron's energy?

The energy of an electron in a Landau level is directly proportional to the principal quantum number (n) and the strength of the magnetic field. As the principal quantum number increases, the energy levels become more closely spaced and the energy of the electron increases.

4. Why are Landau levels important in quantum physics?

Landau levels are important in quantum physics because they provide a way to understand the behavior of electrons in a magnetic field. They also play a crucial role in the study of quantum Hall effect, which is a phenomenon where the resistance of a two-dimensional conductor becomes quantized at low temperatures.

5. How do Landau levels explain the quantization of energy in quantum systems?

Landau levels explain the quantization of energy in quantum systems by demonstrating that the energy levels of an electron in a magnetic field are discrete and not continuous. This is due to the quantization of the electron's motion in a magnetic field and the limited number of possible energy states in a confined two-dimensional system.