1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum - Projection Probability - Projection amplitudes for SHO states.

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    Quantum - Projection Probability - "Projection amplitudes for SHO states."

Given the two normalized 2D SHO wave functions <x,y|mx[/SUB ],ny> for the second energy level n = nx + ny = 1 in the mx[/SUB ],ny representation:

<x,y|1,0> = (2/pi)1/2xexp[-(x2+y2)/2]
    <x,y|0,1> = (2/pi)1/2yexp[-(x2+y2)/2]

and in the alternative n, m representation <x,y|n,m>

<x,y|1,+1> = (1/pi)1/2(x+iy)exp[-(x2+y2)/2]

<x,y|1,-1> = (1/pi)1/2(x-iy)exp[-(x2+y2)/2]

(a) Construct a table of projection amplitudes between these two similar to Table 7-1 (I'll include this table in the attachments) for photon polarization states.

The question continues, but I would like to work the rest out myself. I just don't seem to understand how to change from one base to the other for this question!

Thanks for any hints or help you can give me!

Andrew

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2
    Re: Quantum - Projection Probability - "Projection amplitudes for SHO states."

Am I at all on the right track here? I have a relation between the two bases, but this is as far as I've gotten all week! What I've got is attached.

Thanks!
    Andrew

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook